Recent content by tapedeck77

1. T

Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

If he has 200K to spend just on pissing off people on the Internet I would certainly hope that he has the brains to not do that.
  2. T

Sansui 2000, transistors question

I've cleaned the pots as well as I can. I don't have any Faderlube handy, will have to get some next time I order stuff from Amazon. At the moment the receiver is working well, sounds pretty nice, but I still feel it could be better. I think I'm going to relegate this unit to the workshop/art...
  3. T

What I learned on Craigslist

Photoshopping a babe in a bikini into your photo of your speakers is always a good idea. http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/5039293554.html
  4. T

I had a chance to work on this a little bit over the weekend. I checked solder joints, redid a few that didn't look great. The two boards off the back of the faceplate that hold the push button switches had a lot of bad joints so I did my best to redo the joints on them. Tested with headphones...
  5. T

My speakers are Polk Monitor 60 series 2. They are rated at 90db sensitivity. The noise is noticeable several feet away, it's not loud but it seems louder than it should be if everything was good. It may be a few days before I can spend some time working on it, but when I do I will check all...
  6. T

This model doesn't have the preout and main jumpers unfortunately, so I can't check it that way. I will try to find some shorting plugs and check it with them installed. The issues with soldering where on the old EQ board which was a different type of board than the others for some reason...
  7. T

I finally pulled this out and started working on it again a few weeks ago. I had ordered a replacement EQ board off eBay to test if I had messed up the old board. I had the same problem after installing the replacement board so I gave up on it for awhile. After pulling it back out and checking...
  8. T

Components not installed on power supply board

While replacing capacitors on my Toshiba SA-320, I noticed that there were several components not installed on the power supply board. I have attached a pic showing the board with the three missing components, a capacitor, a resistor, and a diode. The receiver works fine without them, but my...
  9. T

Thank you Larry for your help. I think I have transistors in correctly, but I will double check when I get a chance and also try and check the wiring and make sure it's all hooked up correctly.
  10. T

I put this aside for a little while because it was frustrating me and I had other non-electronics projects to work on. I pulled it back out on Monday to work on it some more. Replaced the tantalum caps with film and replaced the transistors again with new ksc1845 thinking perhaps I had fried...
  11. T

Well, that didn't go so well. I replaced the two transistors with some difficulty, the back of the board was covered with some sticky substance which made getting the solder to flow difficult. Cleaned it with some alcohol, managed to get a decent solder connection and tested the sound. Very low...
  12. T

Cool, thanks for the info. I will go ahead and replace those two transistors and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling a recap is in my future, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Gives me an excuse to spend some quality time alone with solder fumes and my thoughts.
  13. T

Sansui 2000, repair questions Having recently acquired a Sansui 2000 from the local GW, I set about cleaning it up. Lots of static and scratchiness when first tested. Hosed it down with contact cleaner and after several applications it was much better. After listening a little bit, found the...
Back
Top Bottom