Recent content by terapin

1. terapin

Need info on Franklin Mint "Bonus" Jazz LP (Vol 101-102?)

I agree Crunch, the red vinyl is a nice touch. I think this set compares favorably with the Time-Life "Giants of Jazz" series. The Franklin Mint has, I think, a better pressing, but the GoJ series devotes 3 LPs to each artist, and includes a booklet that, I think, is a bit better.
  2. terapin

An update. I finally received the Franklin Mint "Greatest Jazz Recordings of All Time" and have spent the last few days listening to the LPs. They pressings are, I would guess, 180 grams. They are very well pressed, the fidelity is outstanding, and they are very quiet. The selections were...
  3. terapin

Actually, I just bought the set and it will hopefully arrive Saturday. My understanding is that the pressings are quiet and of high quality. The survey was compiled by Dan Morgenstern of the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers. We'll see. After I've played a few disks, I'll post my...
  4. terapin

Does anybody have info about a Franklin Mint box-set called something like "The Ellington Collection?" Could this be the "bonus" volume? or perhaps a completely separate series of LP box-sets? Any info would be appreciated!
  5. terapin

I recently acquired a set of Franklin Mint "The Greatest Jazz Recordings of All Time" LPs. Apparently after the 100 volume set came out, Franklin Mint issued a "bonus" 2 record set of Duke Ellington recordings (volumes 101-102?). Does anyone have any information about this extra volume--for...
  6. terapin

Who is "the King" Freddie King refers to in "Palace of the King"?

Yeah, it could be. It could be he's going back to die, or he's going there to live the good Christian life. I think the Russell listed as a co-author must be Leon, and although a lot of his stuff has a gospel feel, I don't know that he was particularly religious. I just don't know. I do like...
  7. terapin

Jazz "Must Haves"

McCann & Harris "Swiss Movement" & Monk "Brillian Corners" Les McCann & Eddie Harris "Swiss Movement." Live at Montreux in 1969, I think. Had kind of a cult following when it came out. I don't think too many listen to it now, though I may be wrong about that. McCann and Harris were not...
  8. terapin

Who is "the King" Freddie King refers to in "Palace of the King"?

I was listening to Freddie King's album "Getting Ready" and the last track is "Palace of the King" written by Dunn, Nix, and Russell. Who is he referring to when he sings "I'm goin' back to Dallas to live in the palace of the King"? It doesn't make sense for him to be talking about himself (he...
  9. terapin

Don McLean's "American Pie" Explained

I haven't heard "Wedding Song." It's a beautiful verse that you quote.
  10. terapin

Thanks Ponderbear; good to know my memory hasn't gone completely bongers! What an interesting thing to do. PS: I like your signature. But personally, people with green breath I stay way back from.
  11. terapin

But didn't Dylan sometimes perform in mime's white face, and dress in a manner that evoked a jester look? I think I saw some photos of him live, just after he went electric, where he wasn't actually dressed as a jester, but it had that feeling. Maybe I'm remembering wrong; does this ring a...
  12. terapin

Big Mama Thornton

Willie May! She was definitely one of the best. I'm not sure there is a single best performer of a genre as broad as the blues. Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith are also among the best for sure. For some people though, the older recordings prevent them from being fully involved. Nina Simone and...
  13. terapin

Hello All

That's the spirit! With that kind of attitude, I think you'll fit in quite nicely. Welcome to AK!
  14. terapin

CD Recorders

I have a Tascam CD4U, and like it. It's compact and easy to operate. Also, it will record any recording and record it on data disks, rather than the expensive music cdrs. (It also records on CD-RWs) It has both digital and analogue inputs, too. And they seem to crop up on that auction site...
  15. terapin

What does "U" stand for in Yamaha RX-900U Receiver?

unflinching? unparalleled? unpolluted?
Back
Top Bottom