Recent content by Tom Brennan

1. Tom Brennan

First reviews of Dune II, not by film critics but from Frank Herbert Dune fans.

I watched Dune Part 2 today and was pretty disappointed. I found it inferior to Part 1 in pacing and interest and think an hour could be cut from it without damage. I kept thinking how I liked Lynch's movie better which I never thought when watching Part 1.
  2. Tom Brennan

What I liked at Axpona

I can't keep up with all that. I was there to enjoy myself, not to take notes and document the event. If a speaker sounds good at the show I know it can sound good--some speakers will never sound good. I gave some of my impressions, take them or leave them.
  3. Tom Brennan

What I liked at Axpona

Room 1245, Harmonia Distribution.
  4. Tom Brennan

What I liked at Axpona

I listen for speakers and don't pay much attention to amps and sources. I was impressed by the huge 5-way ESD horn system. Also by the large electrostatic Martin Logan hybrids with dynamic woofers. And by the Lowther room. And HSU Audio. And by the surprising modest Harmon room where a couple of...
  5. Tom Brennan

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

Nowadays when I see a Rolex my reaction is to wonder if it's a fake.
  6. Tom Brennan

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

The Sea Hawk, by Erich Wolfgang Korngold.
  7. Tom Brennan

In 2022, Pink Floyd released first new music in decades to support Ukraine

Is their goal to put the Muscovites to sleep?
  8. Tom Brennan

Guess who found a JBL PARAGON at Goodwill!

Those basshorns might be a good basis for a DIY horn system. Load the basshorns with proper woofers (I assume Eminence makes one) then use the treble horn and driver of choice inside the horn mouths either pointing out at the listener or aiming sideways at the curve of the cabinet. It could be...
  9. Tom Brennan

Bi-wire

Sorta. I once had my bi-amped Altec A5s crosswired (real bi-amping with an active crossover); I had the treble driver on the right side wired to the left amplifier channel and the treble driver on the left side wired to the right channel. Meanwhile the bass bins were correct. Below 500hz I had...
  10. Tom Brennan

Bi-wire

I'm confident that the scientists and engineers at Bell Labs, Western Electric and RCA had the speaker wire thing well in hand, oh, 70-80 years ago. Like one day Sarnoff says to Harry Olson "Listen Harry, in between RCA developing improved radio, a movie sound system, microphones, electronic...
  11. Tom Brennan

WHY Do People Purchase BPC and such

I dig champagne finishes and tubes but I'm not keen on SSSSC (Seventies silver solid state crap).
  12. Tom Brennan

WHY Do People Purchase BPC and such

Country music changed the first time a Country drummer used a kit larger than 4 drums. Much modern Country is actually Rock and Roll and Rock. Distorted guitars, heavy drum sound, Rock beats and harmonies. Well, Country musicians have their influences.
  13. Tom Brennan

Gale GS-401 speakers

I remember those, they sold them at Gill's Custom House on 95th St. They sounded pretty good and were highly regarded at the time. They looked nice and were placed horizontally on Gale stands.
  14. Tom Brennan

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

People can be righteously offended by conspicuous consumption. And accusing others of envy is an ad hominem argument anyway.
  15. Tom Brennan

Opinion: The long overdue death of the stick shift car

Not until the third year I own the car. If I still have the car a third year I'll pay without complaint.
Back
Top Bottom