Recent content by trainbuftony

1. trainbuftony

Allen Organ Contemporary Console

@Rex Everything didn't we just light one of these up on the test bench? How did it do? I've already forgotten...
  2. trainbuftony

Talk me out of a Magnavox 9302.

You're missing the point of the thread. We're talking him out of buying one. Sure there's reasons to own one, save them for another thread.
  3. trainbuftony

Talk me out of a Magnavox 9302.

Why would you make a move down the food chain of audio? Magnevox 9301s are fun because you can get them for free and make them work for about a Benjamin and convince yourself that it was a good time. They're not great amplifiers and if you're going to spend the dough, use it to move up the food...
  4. trainbuftony

Skunkified Color preamp

That works as long as someone else pays the bill. The whole beauty of cardboard assisted design is the lack of a subscription fee. I'll show myself the door.
  5. trainbuftony

L Cochrane push pull 6l6 amplifier debug.

I've been rather busy with other stuff. I got the power supply laid out, and some of the amplifier soldered up before time sensitive seasonal tasks pulled me away. I'll be back at it when I've got free time to really devote and get into the head space.
  6. trainbuftony

Skunkified Color preamp

I often use CAD to lay out chassis and a variety of other things. It's cheap, effective and low tech. Go to the nearest alley, root around for a big flat piece of cardboard. Design what you want out of cardboard trim to fit, then transfer the dimensions to your material. You'll waste fewer...
  7. trainbuftony

Dug out my first real stereo tube amp

Perfect way to get a tube audio addiction started. That's a great first tube amplifier and as you move up the food chain you'll get more of that beautiful holographic full, rich, sound that you love about this unit. My first tube amplifier is very similar, but it did the job. It got me...
  8. trainbuftony

I have two MC-30’s and one is louder at full gain. What could be going on?

Short of buying a full new set of tubes, there aren't any good ways to do this that don't require some measurement. If you can’t perform the measurements, take it to someone who can. Otherwise you'll be left to guess and you'll be leaving performance on the table.
  9. trainbuftony

Advice for getting back to listening to music.

Follow up, and hopefully good news. I had a doctor's appointment recently (first time in years) my physician checked my blood urine and stool and gave me a clean bill of health other than one critical number. My vitamin D is extremely low, which is common for folks like me who can't eat wheat...
  10. trainbuftony

Ran across a strange Genalex(?) tube online

Looks like a 6336 to me as well. They're actually 2 directly heated triodes within the same envelope. You/I/someone could theoretical build a ~50w push pull amplifier with only one output tube per channel. They could then infiltrate the single ended, direct heated triode crowd and it'll be...
  11. trainbuftony

Rate Tube Identification

Maybe consider posting a photo here, there's lots of very knowledgeable people here who can ID most anything...
  12. trainbuftony

Can a Dynaco SCA-35 be used as a preamp only..?

I'd stick to using a preamp as a preamp. The SCA 35 has some out of this world quality output transformers on it. It would be a shame to run them into a load that can't possibly let them show their true stuff. My advice, buy the SCA 35, for the transformers and keep looking for that tube preamp...
  13. trainbuftony

Audio circuit

Yes. If you told me you had one that was causing problems, I'd certainly not question your assessment.
  14. trainbuftony

Potted Ouput Transformer- Is it PP or SE UL ??

I'd put a small, maybe 6v, ac power supply on the full secondary and see what each side of the center tap reads. If it's the same voltage from each side to the center tap, fair bet it's a push pull transformer. A single ended transformer with a screen tap will have very different voltages on...
  15. trainbuftony

Advice for getting back to listening to music.

To be 100% fair she did call afterwards and express her reservations about keeping such a heartfelt and expensive gift. I told her that I didn't want it back, I wanted her to have it and to enjoy it and hopefully raise her son in a house with music (vinyl). She agreed to let me know if she's...
Back
Top Bottom