Recent content by treader

1. treader

When is a phono pre-amp justified ?

Thanks to both. At some point, I may look into either of those, though I have a lower budget right now. The friendly guy at a local shop advised me it would cost more than $250 or so to improve on the stage I’m using now, but I like the idea of doing a DIY one sometime, even if Tavish seem to...
  2. treader

When is a phono pre-amp justified ?

If I can re-activate this interesting thread, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for reasonably priced (for me this would be well below the PS Audio price level) phono pre-amps that could improve on the Cambridge Audio A-1 that I currently have connected to my single-input DIY Paradise...
  3. treader

Foam vs. rubber surrounds for B&O RL140

Hello, I've read quite a few threads about refoaming my Bang & Olufsen L-140 speakers and am about ready to take the plunge, but I wondered whether anyone has heard a difference between the sound of foam and rubber surrounds. Efficiency is fairly important for my setup, because I'm using a...
  4. treader

NAD C 521i loading/reading error

photos I also tried cleaning the laser with alcohol, which didn't make any difference. Here are photos of the inside: [/IMG] [/IMG]
  5. treader

NAD C 521i loading/reading error

Hello, I was recently very hopefully reading OscarEmmy's well-done and encouraging thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354435 about fixing his used Denon CDP to see if the same trick would work on the NAD I picked up free a while ago. It seems to have two problems (not...
  6. treader

Speakers for Charlize 2 amp

Hi all, I wondered if you'd have any suggestions for good speaker matches for my Charlize 2 Tripath-chip amp, which I think is rated at 25 watts. I just bought a pair of Linn Indexes for £30 as an upgrade, finally, from the little power-hungry Mission 780s I was using. The Linn ones sound...
  7. treader

Thorens TD-150 speed control problem

Hello all, I've got a TD150 mk II with some issues that come up only when playing 45 rpm discs. The belt guide moves up too far, so that it scrapes against the platter in 45 position. It also fails to bring the belt up on the capstan (I suspect this may because the old belt isn't as...
  8. treader

Advice on non-working Rotel tuner?

Hi, I'm sorry this is months late, but I wanted to thank you for the detailed and helpful post. I realized this repair is a bit out of my league in terms of expertise and equipment, but am glad to know what the likely problem is. Thanks, Marlon
  9. treader

Could you point me in the right direction as to which part I should check or replace? I'm not experienced with DIY electronics, but glad to give it a try. Thanks for the tips. Marlon
  10. treader

I can turn off auto tuning, although there's no icon indicating the mute function turns on/off, but in any case, there's no white noise.
  11. treader

Not long ago, I bought several Rotel components on eBay, and while the integrated amp and CDP work well and sound very nice (once I figured out the transport safety mechanism was engaged on the CD player, which had made it always give an error message), the tuner, model RT-930AX, just doesn't...
  12. treader

Rotel RCC-940AX fixer-upper, worth it?

[Rotel error]: it was just the little red knobs... Hi, I was getting ready to clean my lens, though I had a little trouble finding medical-grade cotton and even isopropyl alcohol in any percentage--apparently they don't use it much in the UK anymore--but when looked inside the player, I was...
  13. treader

Rotel RCC-940AX fixer-upper, worth it?

I just bought three Rotel components, including the RCD-945ax, on eBay, and unfortunately, the latter doesn't work. The tray retracts and loads laboriously and noisily, and then it gives an error message for every CD, after flashing two "8" and "12" icons, probably for CD sizes. Would you be...
Back
Top Bottom