Recent content by Tube Radio

1. Tube Radio

Sony TA-E2000ESD problem

Problem solved. I tested and found no DC on the output jacks so I tested the preamp again. While touching the audio cable plugged into the front outputs I noticed I got sound. So I pulled the board and found the front, rear, center and sub jacks loose so I resoldered them to the board and the...
  2. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

Crossovers are finished and ready to install in the speakers tomorrow. The speakers sounded much better Friday when I tested them with the resistors and cap with the sub no longer needing to be adjusted based on the music being played. They will sound even better with the inductors the...
  3. Tube Radio

Sony TA-E2000ESD problem

I've got a Sony TA-E2000ESD a co worker gave me for free. It's in good cosmetic shape and everything seems to work except I cannot get any audio out of the main outputs. I hear the output relays click on and right back off when a source is selected. Is that an indication that there's DC on...
  4. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

I did calculations and here's what I came up with. For the midrange I put a 15uF cap in parallel with the stock 14uF cap. I noticed an immediate improvement in the sound quality. Still not quite there yet as I need to modify the inductors to their new values. Will do that tonight then will...
  5. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro crossover schematic

Do you by chance have the individual driver impedances? Am reworking a pair and the crossover component values simply do not make sense based on the crude way I measured the driver impedances when those values were plugged into a crossover calculator. It's almost as though they fired up a...
  6. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

Ok, based on calculations I have done using the crudely measured driver impedances, the stock crossover values are way off. I have no real idea what to do other than take one speaker home then measure the driver impedances and calculate new component values for the crossover or get a prebuilt...
  7. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro Speakers Purchase Question

I just got a pair of Maestros. They indeed sound very lame at low power levels. In my attempt to get mine sounding right I noticed the midrange and tweeter are wired opposite polarity of the woofer. Also based on the crude way I measured the impedance and the crossover schematic I found that...
  8. Tube Radio

Advent woofers - Maestro vs Legacy

Were there any mods to the crossover in the Maestros to make them sound better?
  9. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

So I had found a schematic of these speakers someone drew up who restored a pair and noticed the midrange and tweeter were wired opposite polarity to the woofer. So I rewired them to be correct and the sound improved some. However, it still doesn't sound right on some songs. The only specs I...
  10. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

Definitely. I'm going to try a 70Hz 24 dB/octave active two way crossover with the speakers tomorrow to see if they sound better with a proper high pass crossover as at the moment I have the speakers running full range and the sub crossover set at 40Hz.
  11. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

Got the speakers today. The owner had refoamed them a few years back so no need to worry about that. I got film caps on order to replace the stock non-polar caps. One thing I did notice is that there seems to be a hole in the response near the crossover point between the woofer and midrange...
  12. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

The speakers probably love an amp that can supply a lot of current. I'm also getting an adcom GFA 535 and 545 for free. Both can supply a lot of current to the speakers even though one is 60WPC and the other is 100WPC.
  13. Tube Radio

Advent Maestro speakers

I am getting a pair of Advent Maestro speakers for free. If they need to be refoamed, what foam should I use? Also on a Facebook vintage audio group, someone mentioned that Human Speakers makes a replacement woofer that is better than the stock woofer. Anyone know anything about that?
  14. Tube Radio

FYI the Schiit Saga S has gone missing?

One benefit of the IR extender is that now I can point the remote in pretty much any direction in the room and the extender picks it up, whereas with the Saga S, I had to have the remote pretty much pointed at it. The green dot is the IR extender.
  15. Tube Radio

FYI the Schiit Saga S has gone missing?

Hopefully the relays in the Kara will be much quieter than the relays in the Saga S as I had to put mine in a closet and use an IR extender given how loud the relays are.
Back
Top Bottom