Recent content by Vaughn

1. Vaughn

Microscope + aquarium pump = turntable?

I love to get into little details on a build like this. I needed a small piece of hardware to secure the air valve for the tone arm and decided to make something like a small "C" clamp that I could mount to the main deck. I found some solid 3/8" x 1" steel bar that worked perfectly. First a...
  2. Vaughn

I fit in a little more work on this over the last couple of weeks. The block of material I used for the motor assembly is salvaged from an old high school countertop. I appears to be a sandwich of four layers of 1/4" Masonite (hardboard) with 1/8" skins of tempered Masonite on each face. The...
  3. Vaughn

I like the idea of charging a tank rather than continuous operation of the pump
  4. Vaughn

It doesn't take much to float the arm and sled. An aquarium pump is plenty as long as you don't get the smallest version. I once had a Mapleknoll Athena table that used air for the tonearm and platter (lead!) and that required a pump that was more the size of something you would use for air...
  5. Vaughn

I'm unfamiliar but it looks like a beautiful design
  6. Vaughn

thanks! it should be fun, and I hope great sounding in the end
  7. Vaughn

I'm starting another turntable build and thought I'd share the process with all my fellow audio nerds as I progress. I'm incorporating the Rek-O-Kut L-34 Jr. as the drive portion of the table and adding a few fancy bits. The baseplate is a 1" thick slab of Paperstone that I will build...
  8. Vaughn

I started with a pair of Heathkit w5M amps about 30 years ago, lots of amps since then...Dynaco...

I started with a pair of Heathkit w5M amps about 30 years ago, lots of amps since then...Dynaco, Fisher, Magnavox, Eico etc. I've got a little Magnavox amp that I'd sell if you're interested. I've got $200 into it and two good testing 6BQ5s and would sell it for the same. It will need some minor...
  9. Vaughn

A tube tester isn't really needed, just make sure you have decent testing set from a reputable...

A tube tester isn't really needed, just make sure you have decent testing set from a reputable seller. Lots of reasonable priced new production tubes out there as well. A multimeter and good soldering station as well as a couple of rolls of desoldering wick will get you far. If you do want to do...
  10. Vaughn

I practiced quite a bit rebuilding older equipment before building from scratch. A great place...

I practiced quite a bit rebuilding older equipment before building from scratch. A great place to start would be rebuilding one of the Magnavox amps that they built into their consoles. Something like a singled ended 6BQ5 would be a great starting place and sound amazing with those Tannoys.
  11. Vaughn

The circuit is quite simple but I went a little overboard on the build quality. Which amps are...

The circuit is quite simple but I went a little overboard on the build quality. Which amps are you looking at building?
  12. Vaughn

I do, I had actually sold it to another AK'er in the Seattle area and it lived with him for...

I do, I had actually sold it to another AK'er in the Seattle area and it lived with him for several years. I noticed he had put it up for sale here and decided to buy it back from him.
  13. Vaughn

Hey! It has been a long time, I was off here for a while but keep coming back.

Hey! It has been a long time, I was off here for a while but keep coming back.
  14. Vaughn

Vaughn's Sonic Sanctuary

Thank you, I'm not sure what possessed me to go with yellow but I'm glad I did
  15. Vaughn

Vaughn's Sonic Sanctuary

It has indeed, I realized I had been in my current job for 10 years recently and built this before I started. In fact that amp took a little tour of the PNW in the interim as I sold it to another AK member but ended up buying it back. I've been in and out on AK over the years, good to see you...
Back
Top Bottom