videolady201
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Missing you VL. The MachTwo thread is active and wish you were here with your knowledge and experience. RIP.
    I haven't been on AK in a very long time. I was just looking through the Nova 8B mod thread and I noticed that someone (I forgot their screen name!) posted that they had talked to you and you were alright! I was so glad to hear that you are ok!!! God bless and please, take care of yourself!!!
    Hello Videolady201!
    I'm new here, but was wondering if you have published your Level 2 upgrade for the Realistic Mach 1.
    Also, I really do live in the desert - California's Mojave - and wonder if you know of good replacement surrounds other than foam for the woofer, because foam deteriorates out here with remarkable speed.
    Thank you.
    Hi videolady201, I saw your mach 1 upgrade article, and hoped that you could tell me how the buttons come off the tweeter bezel. I need to swap a bezel. Thanks
    Hello Videolady201,

Like several others here I just purchased a set of Realistic Mach 1's off of Ebay in fairly nice condition. I recall first seeing these in the late 70's as a young teen and being blown away but back then I never had the money or space. Now that I do, for nostalgia's sake, I plan on refurbishing this set to as close to new as I can get. Woodworking is a main hobby of mine so making new cabinets is easy. I then came upon your very interesting article and I was wondering if the Tier 1 crossover upgrades will work for these as they are the older 4024 model? Either way I plan on replacing the original components with all new higher quality parts but should I leave the crossover design as is (since it is the 4024) or change the values as you suggest to improve the sound? Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chil
    Hello Videolady201,

I was doing the upgrades on the realistic Mach 1 speakers per your instructions.
    I am having difficulty in sourcing the exact rated capacitors you specify. I am using parts express as I live very near them.

Is there some "wiggle" room on the ratings for the capacitors?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    Hello videolady,

Thank you for the information in the tier1 Mach One upgrades. I just hooked up a Realistic system I picked up a few years ago, including an STA-2080. After a bit of listening, the receiver blew the main fuse. I've traced the problem to an intermittent short in one of the speakers. I'm guessing a cap in the crossover? I'd like to see the tier2 upgrade that includes the resistor changes and whatever else it entails. Unfortunately, the receiver still blows the main fuse when powered on, even with the speakers disconnected - another project. Suggestions are welcomed and thanks, again.

Tom
    Part two of the other message...
    Also, last summer, I found an old magnavox turntable console with dual 6v6 tube amps in them. I was so inspired by all my finds and reconnecting with my analog youth that I decided to start an electronics club at the school where I am the technology director. I come at my position after having been a graphic designer turned network engineer, not via the electronics side of things, but this year I've managed to understand a lot more in the basic concepts of EE, including what caps, resistors, diodes, are and do. That is more than I could have said looking over of the mod projects on this board last summer. I'm planning to attemp your well documented Mach 1 mod, drilling the holes, recapping the xovers and maybe even adding the felt etc. I'm writing you now so that later on this summer when I'm in the thick of it and sending you help messages, you'll hopefully have some recollection of my story and perhaps send an encouraging word or two my way.
    Hi Videolady, first I'd like to thank you for the extensive information on the Mach speakers and your upgrades to them. Last summer I came across some liquid cooled mach 1's with blown out woofers. I told the church sale ladies that they were worthless (I thought probably) but I would cart them away for them. They thanked me. Later, after I found the surround replacement kits and got them to work I went back and gave the ladies some money and they were thrilled. I was so inspired by my find that I decided to relive some of my youth and build myself the whole realistic system from the same year or two, so I got the LAB-420 turntable, the STA-2100 receiver, and replaced a bunch of that era's rock greatest vinyls including my favorite who, floyd, zeppelin.
    Hi, sorry to bother you, I'm looking at fixing up my STA-90 and came across your post where you linked to a hi-res schematic of the STA-90. The link no longer works "http://66.116.167.39/sta90/", I was wondering if you still had access to it.

Thanks for your help.

Justin
    Hi,
    I thought I'd better pm these inquiries, rather than deluge you with similar requests, or OT the thread.
    1. can you point me to the superglue thread that pertains to the treatment that crept into the nova 8b crossover thread? (I searched and was overwhelmed by how popular the reference was)
    2. regarding the original crossover's hi-norm-low switches for mid's and hi's, Would you be willing to do a version of your mod that retained that functionality? (I'm assuming SPICE can tell us the proper value of resisters to approx a -3db and +3db alternative to normal. This feature would be useful to me because speaker placement in my room is constrained.

btw: My N8b's were my very first audio investment in '75 (age 16) with lawn-mowing money purchased along w/ the STA-120 (long gone)
    The speakers are all original & will definitely benefit from you xover design, as soon as I can get them back from my eldest son
    Hi im sure i am one of many upgrading the Mach 1,s I have the 4024a and so far i drilled the three holes as recommended, added insulation and sealed the horn and rear panel with close celled 1/8 weatherstrip. So far i am happy with the changes. The mid range speakers still have the insulation fully intact and i have had no vibration, i did not replace anything there. Firstly should i replace it anyway is there a benefit, secondly my mid horns seem to sound clean but after reading your suggestion with the 3 pieces of felt i am thinking i should do this, one of my plastic covers already has a crack and i am sure the other will crack if i remove them, if you believe this will improve sound i will order new plastic before i remove them. You seem to be quite knowledgeable and i value your opinion Pete
    I am in the process of recapping a pair of Mach 1 4024a and was led to believe you have some information on upgrading ,if so i would love to read the info. Pete
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom