Recent content by Zolton

1. Zolton

ESS Tempest info

Looks like either the factory or someone after the fact installed two 19uF caps in series (which would equal 9.5uF). The second crossover had one 7.5 uF cap in place. The proper value should be 7.5uF in each crossover. The brand and type of capacitor is the same in both which leads me to believe...
  2. Zolton

ESS Tempest info

I have a pair of these I salvaged from an e-dump. Yes, they were the first version of the Tempest without the AMT. They were in rough shape and non-functioning. Turns out the wires were broken at the crossover due to someone being ham-fisted with the Brightness Control knob. I refurbished them...
  3. Zolton

Bought some Realistic Nova 9's.

These beasts were $160 each in 1973. Adjusted for inflation, these things would cost you over $2,200/pr as of this post. Yikes!
  4. Zolton

Bought some Realistic Nova 9's.

I just picked up a Dynaco SCA-35 from a nice chap who owned it for 40 years. He installed Dave Gillespie's EFB mod and upgraded the tone PEC's as well. I was scratching my head thinking of some efficient speakers to match it with. I had forgotten all about the Nova 9's Since the SCA-35 needs...
  5. Zolton

Zolton's KLH Model Five restoration

Looking back at a Dynaco A-25 restoration I did in 2016, I applied Tung oil to the wood prior to the Minwax treatment. So, I would have done the same on Model Fives.
  6. Zolton

Mystery Ortofon cartridge

Just received. Couldn't see the stylus face in the ad. Looks to be the real deal. It'll be some time before I can actually try it out. I'll post back then.
  7. Zolton

Thanks. I realize this post is more from a complete noob's perspective (which I definitely was at the time), and that most folks on this site have much more experience at doing this than I. And FAR greater knowledge and skill levels. GD70 (Glenn) comes to mind for one. So, this post was geared...
  8. Zolton

And finally... The finished product in my old listening space. They're perched on 9 inch high metal stands that came with some old Canadian made speakers from my youth, that fit the dimensions almost perfectly. Thanks for making it through this very long post. Hopefully you took the time to...
  9. Zolton

The midranges ended up with four individual feed wires rather than the "in series" pair that was original. The midrange box received the construction adhesive air sealant treatment where the wires entered the mid box. All drivers then got duct seal applied to their mounting flanges (I hope not...
  10. Zolton

I scrounged up some old phenolic insulating sheeting and cut binding post mounting plates for two sets of binding posts per speaker. They also got the duct seal treatment. This time to provide an extra measure against air leakage. These Fives can now be bi-wired, bi-amped or jumpered for single...
  11. Zolton

The whole works were then mounted into place inside the cabinets, with the separated section wires poking through the back holes.
  12. Zolton

Strips of duct seal were also applied to the back of the crossover capacitor mounting board to provide similar anti-buzzing service.
  13. Zolton

New foam bits were cut and put into place over the existing crossover adjustment shaft foam. The intension being that layered on top of the old foam, they would compress and expand around the metal shafts once the crossover plates were screwed back in, hopefully providing some extra cabinet...
  14. Zolton

I wiped down the woofer baskets with alcohol then covered them with duct seal to reduce any possible ringing these old beasts might produce. I did admit that this project was overkill
  15. Zolton

Here's the finished crossovers ready to go back in, with long speaker leads installed. All speaker leads were 16 AWG. I think the original size was 18 or 20, not sure.
Back
Top Bottom