Help with crackling speakers

Jessedv

Gear

Technics SL-BD22D
Technics SA-303L
Kenwood LS-63 Speakers

Hi,

I am absolutely new to the "vinyl- experience" and trying to learn a thing or two while using cheaper secondhand equipment I collected. After installment, I'm still figuring out why my speakers are crackling and the sound keeps falling away.

After learning about p-mount elements and the groundcable, I'm looking for another win ;). The only thing I'm thinking of is cleaning the inside of my receiver with a contact cleaner and replacing the audiocable between receiver - speakers.

Facepalm moment for the real audiophiles: whenever I move the antenna on my receiver or give it some gentle taps, at least one of the speakers sounds better for a while.

Any pro tips I can use?

Cheers

Yes first clean all your pots and switches with deoxit. Do you get the issue when you touch controls? Does it only happen on phono input, or other inputs? Does it happen in both - or only one -speaker? Is it a "rustling", or a loud aggressive "crackling?"

The 'loud agressive' crackling appeared also when touching controls, yeah. Only checked it on the phono input and it was much worse on 1 of the speakers.

Well, after cleaning and new cables, the crackling is significantly better and both speakers keep playing without falling away. The first minute, a little bit of smoke (+ smell) came out of the receiver, I assume leftover dust + cleaner evaporating. The only thing remaining is a static noise in between songs, less hearable on the background when music is playing. Is this something a better turntable mat for example can resolve?

greetings and welcome to DIY;

Can we assume you're playing with a good stylus and cart and a static free record? Is there static present when the TT is off or on without playing a record or is it only when playing?

Thanks! :)

I recently changed the original element with an "Audio Technica 311EP". The static noise appears as soon as I turn the receiver on, without the turntable playing. Switching to another source makes the noise go away.

def. static not 60Hz hum? can you get a schematic/parts list for your receiver? Sounds like maybe there's some bad transistors in your phono stage.

I would suggest trying it with the TT unplugged to see if it's still there but you will probably get hum then unless you have some shorting plugs for the phono inputs

I'm still not clear on the extent of your "noise" sorry - so we know its only happening on the phono stage - but is it crackling static, or a steady low-level hiss? If the latter - this could be normal for that amp/receiver considering its age.

Is that sound the SAME level in both speakers, or louder in one that the other?

Unplugged the TT and the noise is gone. The noise does sound louder in the right speaker. I'm now reading into this 60 cycle hum, but it isn't clear for me what exactly you can do about that?

Only when selecting the phono operation and un plugged no static. HUm is hum and static is static this is not 50-60hz hum. However it could be ac related like in lighting or some other rf leakage. even some electronic devices can cause static like a digital clock too close by. Also try moving your TT away from your amp. TT cable away from other sources. Plug tt into wall not the back of the amp.

Plug into Aux. as suggested and see if there is static. Not suggesting permanent but just a test... If no static then something in the phono section as noted above.

First off, thank you all for thinking along.

To summarize:

- The noise DOES occur when plugged in 'Aux" (only needed to turn the volume way up to hear it);
- Removing every single light, electric source out of the room and cable management didn't help;
- With TT unplugged, the noise is gone.
- The noise follows in level while turning the volume up/down.
- Touching the case of the receiver mutes the noise significantly.

For a better understanding:

With all other equipment removed.

When LED (I know) installed. As you can hear, the sound is higher in pitch with the lights on.

Now some questions:

1. Can any of this potentially harm the electricity net of my house?
2. Is this something buying a new receiver could solve?
3. Is there anything on the market I can buy to filter this?
4. Is working with an outboard pre- amp in the aux still an option for this receiver?

1) no
2) probably not.
3) no probably not,(if speaking of hooking up to your receiver)
4) phono section is usually independent of the other selections.

As per the user manual. Inspect your stylus with a strong magnifier as dust or if worn will cause static noise. If the cartridge is aged could also attribute to static. Inspect the cart. wire connections. reinspect the ground cable. (When you are touching the case you are acting as a ground.)

Would be an advantage if you could take the amp. to a shop with a known good TT. I'm leaning to a new stylus and perhaps a cart but I don't want you to make extra expense without being sure.

e.g. for both ground and static issue.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/problem-technics-turntable-1

Back
Top Bottom