Sansui C-2102 Pre-Amp just picked it up Yesterday...

Hermit418

Found a Sansui C-2102 Pre-Amp yesterday while visiting one of my usual haunts. I brought it home and noticed a low output with issues of both channels cutting in and out. Did a little research on it to refresh my memory on this higher line component.

Downloaded the service manual from HiFi engine as well.

Found a thread about another owner de-soldering all of the relays and cleaning each one with De-Oxit and some "brown shop paper", I surmised he meant burnishing the contacts of the relays to isure solid connection.

I removed the covers of the relays and gave them each a blast of De-Oxit, allowing each to sit and dry before coveringthem again and trying again to get signals through the various inputs. I noticed an improvement although the issues were still present.

My immediate question is what else besides cleaning the relays again canI do to return this otherwise fine piece of gear back to full operation? I would rather not have to take the relays out and have to re-install them if I canavoid doing that.

I would really like to use this Pre-Amp with some BGW Mono Blocks that I finished restoring a few months ago. This pre along with the 150 WPC (avg @ 8 Ohms) should allow me to have a solid power source plus a very clean signal chain for several of my Dahlquist and Klipsch speakers. I am hoping it will result in allowing me to finally use a decent MC cart in my Denon 47f TT.

Any suggestions to correct the issues and allow me to use this setup? I understand the relays can be cleaned and that should fix this problem but again I want to avoid having to pull the relays and have to reinstall them if at all possible. Everything else seems to be fully functional.

Cheers
Hermit

I think the relays need a bit more attention and no telling how long this unit sat unused prior to me taking it home.

It looks otherwise untouched and except for some dust it appears clean and factory wired, in other words no golden screwdrivers inside prior to my inspection.

Cheers
Hermit

Looked over the link and my unit looks untouched so I am still thinking dirty contacts/relays are the main problem.

Cheers
Hermit

One relay is common to all signal paths. Its the one closest to the power supply board. RL1

Just tried it again and now it appears to be working. It seem to be affected with moving the connections slightly.

If it were just one connection it could be an interconnect or an RCA jack. I will give ago later today with some other CD and tuner units just to rule out the particular component.

Thanks for the link as it allowed me to see the proper wiring in place.

I would really like to find out how good this unit is supposed to be.

Cheers
Hermit

One relay is common to all signal paths. Its the one closest to the power supply board. RL1

Thanks went over these fairly well last night didn't read voltages just checked for continuity since it was after Midnight and was doing just basic troubleshooting. Spent more time this morning with a through cleaning of each relay, 13 if I am correct.

Cheers
Hermit

Congrats, Hermit. I agree with Avionic, that's a good sounding preamp.

Cheers,
John
Thanks again you guys are always fantastic when it comes down to trouble shooting weird little issues.

So do you think the $20.45 dollars US (including tax) was an okay purchase for this?

Cheers
Hermit

Great price! A steal, especially if you get it running well without too much effort.

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom