Funky CR-2020

Internal heat - over crowded interior. It makes no difference what caused it. What matters is correcting the problem. Out board heat sinks are a step in the right direction.

Yammie, Pioneer and all of the others did it back then during the "monster receiver wars"--cram in a tuner, phono stage, other line stages, a preamp and 100+ wpc amp into a "conventionally" sized cabinet and "have at it". I don't think anybody expected them to still be around 40 years later, much less "revered". They are what they are, and there are "known issues".

Yammie, Pioneer and all of the others did it back then during the "monster receiver wars"--cram in a tuner, phono stage, other line stages, a preamp and 100+ wpc amp into a "conventionally" sized cabinet and "have at it". I don't think anybody expected them to still be around 40 years later, much less "revered". They are what they are, and there are "known issues".
And yet, not all of them runs that hot, even more powerful units, for example; This is first ''big'' unit that 'out boarding' components is require. I'm very aware I'm a rookie in this matters, but I have reconditioned some big units on last 12 months and from my point of view, Yamaha tried to cut corners on this unit, I know that sounds arrogant specially coming from an amateur audio enthusiast who barely knows what is doing , but those cramped heat sinks in the middle, that layout, those under power resistors, heat stress all over the place. Well ....looks like the tried to get the most power for a small frame.
With that been said... damn! is a good looking unit! let's see how it goes, anyway it won't be my daily driver and probably is going to stay on a shelf most of the time.

Cheers!

Well to be fair to the original designers, many lasted decades with the standard parts. We now know that addressing a couple issues could make them last much longer.

Well to be fair to the original designers, many lasted decades with the standard parts. We now know that addressing a couple issues could make them last much longer.
Agreed! And not too many units would survive decades of hard life in a tropical country, hacked and looks like heavily mistreated.:thumbsup:
And I will take care of that:naughty:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom