Classical Music Suggestions for a Metal Head

Oh, I got one, I got one! Rondellus - Sabbatum: A Medieval Tribute to Black Sabbath. It's from a group of chamber musicians from Estonia. They took old Black Sabbath tunes, arranged for and played on authentic medieval instruments, and translated the lyrics to Latin. It is real primitive and totally spooky.

Oh, I got one, I got one! Rondellus - Sabbatum: A Medieval Tribute to Black Sabbath. It's from a group of chamber musicians from Estonia. They took old Black Sabbath tunes, arranged for and played on authentic medieval instruments, and translated the lyrics to Latin. It is real primitive and totally spooky.

Whoa Whoa Whoa. I have to resist the urge to sacrifice a living creature when this is playing.

It needs more Cello.

Last edited:
Well, I have listened to quite a bit of classical music the last few weeks. I love a lot of it, but some composer/works don´t do much for me.

As far as beautiful music goes, so far I like Vivaldi´s Four Seasons the most.

And I haven´t found any symphonies that I like more than Beethoven. His stuff is unbelieveable!

I like Mozart and Haydn; Mahler is pretty good, but a little too long and drawn out for my taste.

I still have so much to discover!

I don't think anyone so far has mentioned Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, but maybe I missed it. But if you liked Vivaldi, J. S. Bach is probably the next place to go.

I don't know what the thrift stores and used record stores are like in your town, but they are often an excellent source for inexpensive classical LPs and CDs, which are almost always in very good condition.

If you like Beethoven's symphonies, after you've been listening for a while, look for Beethoven's Late Quartets. The Late Quartets are his best works.

Wait a minute. Penderecki, Bartok? Sounds like a Kubrick movie. Don't forget Ligeti! Oh, I know, I know, it's The Shining. Got mine on vinyl for $4.98 (bragging, I know). Really impressed with the suggestions for Mr. Priest. Hey, weren't you in a Bob Dylan song? Mozart? I wouldn't have guessed it. But now that I think about it, they gave him big hair in Amadeus. So many good suggestions. 2 Celloz - ha ha! JP, you must be overwhelmed! How about Yngwie Johan Malmsteen's Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra? Consider this, Randy Rhoads and Tommy Iommi laid down some acoustic guitar tracks showing classical influence and Oggie Doggie (Ozzy) used to open his shows with Orff's O Fortuna cranking on the house PA. So metal and classical music have always been kindred spirits. Now if we can only get hip hop and bluegrass to play nice together.

I hope you are enjoying you're journey Mr. Priest. I know I am.

Wagner is a good bet for metalheads. I've skimmed the thread but didn't notice Saint-Saëns' Symphony No 3. That's worth a look.

Tchaikovsky 1812. Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565. Smetena's Ma Vlast was apparently the inspiration for Rush's Jacobs Ladder. Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition- listen to the Emerson Lake and Palmer version and then some of the more conventional recordings. Same with Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland.

S&M by Metallica is great crossover material. So is Rush's Clockwork Angel's tour BluRay with the string section. The addition of instrumentation more usually associated with classical performance is interesting.

If you are into the more esoteric, dark/math metal like Metallica and Fugazi, I would recommend the 20th century composers. Start with Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, a piece which caused a riot when it premiered in 1913, and changed the course of music forever.

If you are more a pop/metal guy (and since you liked Vivaldi's Four Seasons, I am imagining you are), I would still recommend the more melodic 20th century composers like Prokofiev (two violin concertos and an amazing 7th Piano Sonata).

Here are my colleagues playing an encore (it's the reverse - classical guys going metal!):

Hey, I just thought of something. Since you're obviously an avowed metalhead and looking to branch out, this isn't classical, but have you checked out any of Jim Thirlwell/Foetus' stuff? It's 80's/90's basement industrial, but some of it is really well done instrumentally.

Here's a few of my favorites

Did you ever see the movie Shine? It's about this guy.

which of these next versions do you like better?

That was Dr. Viossy's transcription of LvB's piano sonata. this is Dr. V

I'm digging down in my facebook timeline for good stuff
Here's some

Heifetz used his priceless 1742 ex-David Guarnerius violin on my 1959 Munch/BSO recording of this concerto. It was his main performance axe even though he owned a couple of Strads. It was used by Ferdinand David when he played this concerto's premiere in 1845 so my 180gm LP with Heifetz using it is pretty sweet.

More Heifetz - http://www.thirteen.org/programs/american-masters/jascha-heifetz-gods-fiddler--full-film/

Here, you dig. I have Casals playing Beethoven right next to the GG Allin - Hated movie. I'm a barbarian :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAkEtcMaL-pJkZSAvYvdGwQ/videos?shelf_id=0&view=15&sort=dd

Last edited:
I've been re-sharing this a few times a year...
(There's an HD version available but this one has better sound)

Playing this again for the umpteenth time

Excellent BBC television film that dramatizes the performance of Beethoven's third symphony - Eroica.
Conducted by Sir John Eliot Gardiner (one of the world's foremost Beethoven experts) with the Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique .

Executive Producer and Head of BBC Classical Music Peter Maniura says:
"Beethoven's revolutionary Third Symphony, The Eroica, burst upon an unsuspecting world in the summer of 1804..."

and this chick looks like she's masturbating much of the time. She's good though (at piano)

Last edited:
I'm still the only person to stomp his thumbs-up on this one. I ****in love it though.
He posted this on Beethoven's birthday December 16

I played the Arne 8 overtures disc the other night from my freakin sweet L'Oiseau-Lyre box
I saved $25USD by getting it used "like new" and I'm very happy with it @ about 8 discs in
EDIT - oops, not from the box but from LP

The Arne overtures are mostly much rowdier than Vivaldi's Four Seasons but you might like it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Arne
EDIT again - here are his symphonies, not the overtures. whatever, it's all good :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom