Sting- Soul cages

gizzyman47

Just purchased Sting- soul cages vinyl reissue the other day at barns & noble. I have an original to compare it to. I was disappointed in the reissue. It seemed to lack the Q effect that the original had. The original sounded better. More musical, more detail also. I will have to give it another listen though before I totally write it off.

I really like the album and just wanted a new copy of it. My original sounds pretty good (quiet). I was thinking about getting some other titles by Sting, but I'm concerned that the sound quality may not be there. I don't know if any other of his albums were recorded in Q sound, so that might not be an issue with the sound quality.

Anyone hear this reissue yet? If so, what is your opinion of it?

Haven't heard the reissue, but love this record. I do have an original and it sounds great. I have always been confused as to what Q Sound is, always thought it was some kind of marking mojo.

No idea what Q sound is but Soul Cages is going to be hard to improve on imo. Great sounding mastering. Messing with it would have a higher probability of degrading then upgrading. I'd get a new original.

This is Q sound https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QSound

Roger Waters~Amused to Death was also done in Q sound back in '92. I have the original release and purchased the new re-issue last year, and have had similar mixed results. The re-issue sounds good, but some of the Q sound "effect" seems to have been "lost in translation", so to speak.

Perhaps those involved in the remastering of Soul Cages and Amused To Death were intentionally moving away from the Q Sound effect.

Haven't heard either remaster as far as I know but they were a pretty stylized sound. I love both albums.

Love his style and while I don't have his album I have the original CD cover which is cool. Some great songs on there.

Back
Top Bottom