Just acquired KG4s and was wondering about amps. . .

I've had mine for about 1 year now and they are the best speakers I have ever owned. Mine are currently in a tube based system, Dynaco ST 35, Schiit Valhalla 2, and the Little Bear T10 phono stage. My recommendation is to save your money and get a tube amp, and check out the Schiit Saga as a preamp. Not really expensive and FWIW I plan on getting one very soon.

If you can't wait to save for tube gear the SS I have had them connected to a B&K Pro10 preamp and a B&K power amp. They sounded real nice with that setup as well. Not nearly as amazing or revealing as the tube chain but that is my own personal opinion.

Lastly the best suggestions I got from this forum where, move them away from the wall about one foot, toe them in directly to your listening spot. Put them up about 10 to 12 inches off the floor ( so the tweeter is on line with your ears when sitting and listening ) and most importantly do the Crites tweeter upgrade. This requires a screwdriver and some plyers. Probably the best $60 I have ever spent.

Great speakers for all kinds of music. With a little effort you will be richly rewarded.

SB

I'm running mine with a Pioneer SX-980. I found I prefer a "brighter" amp with the KG4s (my pair at least). And I generally like a warm sound. I prefer my SX-838 (warmer) with my Yamaha NS-690s (more highs than KG4).

I guess it's balance thing (and my ears).

Just tried mine with a Yamaha R700 I just picked up from a fellow AK'er. Preferred it to my Pioneer VSX-59 but my Magnavox 8802 is hooked back up. Guess my ears prefer tubes.

I’ve had KG4s for several years listening to Jazz, Classical, and some Rock, but only with Solid State electronics. I would echo Sir Baker, the titanium tweeter upgrades from Crites are well worth the $60.

I tried a vintage Yamaha CR-620 receiver at first. Too harsh and grating on my ears anyway. Crites tweeter upgrade helped some.

Better: Sansui 4000 receiver; decent balance, strong bass but a bit on the flabby side.

Best: Carver CT-7 preamp/tuner, B&K ST1400 power amp. Tighter bass, best overall balance, and clear highs. The strong midrange of the amplifier almost made up for the fact that the KG4 is a two-way and my ears probably prefer a 3-way.

I ended up pairing them with a Rega Elex-R and an RP6 TT. I'm running Transparent cables. Right now, I'm letting everything break in and settle. I'll report back with what my ears tell me in the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom