Bi Amping ?

Infinity nutcase.
Before I screw anything up I kinda wanted to ask you guys if this sounds right, for me this is uncharted territory. I've read some past posts but it gets way into depth and I get lost.

My Anthem Pre2L-SE has 2 sets of Main Out connections on the back, I bought an McIntosh 2105 and have the Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2. Rather than using a splitter from one main out, I can use both main outs. I have to remove the jumpers from the QLS-1's. Then I can use one, running rca cables to the Emo then to low end of the speakers, and the other main outs I can run another set of rca cables to the McIntosh and then speaker cables to the high end.

My stock crossovers will still work as intended.

I know that's not the right way, didn't read you should use 2 of the same amps till after I bought the McIntosh.

But for what I have does that sound safe ? I'm a bit nervous, I really don't want to damage anything.

I've done that with my Anthem Pre 1-L (2 sets of Main Outs) and never had a problem.

Before I screw anything up I kinda wanted to ask you guys if this sounds right, for me this is uncharted territory. I've read some past posts but it gets way into depth and I get lost.

My Anthem Pre2L-SE has 2 sets of Main Out connections on the back, I bought an McIntosh 2105 and have the Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2. Rather than using a splitter from one main out, I can use both main outs. I have to remove the jumpers from the QLS-1's. Then I can use one, running rca cables to the Emo then to low end of the speakers, and the other main outs I can run another set of rca cables to the McIntosh and then speaker cables to the high end.

My stock crossovers will still work as intended.

I know that's not the right way, didn't read you should use 2 of the same amps till after I bought the McIntosh.

But for what I have does that sound safe ? I'm a bit nervous, I really don't want to damage anything.

You're not going to damage anything as long as you remove the jumpers on the speakers.

However, what you may encounter is that the amps have different gain so the tonality of the speaker could change. E.g. the bass and mid/high be out of proportion to each other. This is the main reason why the same amps are normally recommended as they will have the same gain.

However, if the amps have adjustable level/gain controls, or the preamp has individual output level settings, you should be able to balance them despite different amps.

EDIT: Looks like the Emo amp is rated 29dB gain @ 8 ohms, while the MC2105 (at maximum) is about 35dB gain @ 8 ohms. So, with the Mac amp on the mid/high, you should be able to cut it back with the level controls to bring it in line with the Emo's gain (on the assumption you want to anyway, at least for starters).

Last edited:
Thanks you guys, I just want to make sure what's mapped in my head is safe. I won't get to it until this weekend but I'd hate to start turning things on and smoke something.

I'm looking forward to playing with the gain and fine tuning everything, my goal is to take the strain of the Emo and hopefully sweeten if that's the right word the top end with the McIntosh.

Back
Top Bottom