Using my big screen TV as my monitor for my Mac

iplagolf

Hello…I hope this is the right place for this question. I have an Mac computer with the latest OSX software up-grade. I have the HDMI cable and adaptor to connect the Mac to my Visio TV. When I connect the Mac to the TV HDMI port I get my wall paper but when I go to CBS.com and start a show it doesn't appear on the TV screen, just the wall paper. What do I need to do? I am not computer savvy but can follow directions very well. All help would be appreciated. If more information about my equipment is needed I can post pictures and model numbers. I want to be able to watch The Good Fight on CBS on demand from my couch. Thanks, Fritz

Good Day,
What model mac are you using? When you say "wallpaper" does that mean your desktop? Does your computer work properly when connected to your TV? Do you have to change HDMI input on the TV?
Have you tried connecting your mac to a monitor to see if it is working correctly?
"nikkofan"

The way I got around this problem with a Windows box was to designate my TV as the primary display. I run my monitor at 2560x1440. That image automatically resizes itself to a 1080P ATSC signal for display on the TV. Note, I'm running an NVidea 3Gb display card. It has RGB, DVI, HDMI and display port outputs.

When the TV is the secondary display it shows only the wallpaper. However, I can drag and drop windows between screens.

You're probably using your TV as a second screen.

Make sure it's set to duplicate screen in computer display settings.

You could also try dragging the CBS.COM window over to your TV screen before starting playback.

The computer is seeing it as a secondary display. To make it the primary, shut the machine off. Disconnect all displays except the TV. Turn it on. It will not default to the TV. That is the Q&D solution.

Also, I think you want to set the TV aspect ratio to "Just Scan" or whatever 1:1 pixel mapping is called on your TV.

Thanks so much to all. I set the TV to be the mirror of the Mac and it works! Now how to figure out how to get audio. Headphone jack out to a set of computer speakers? I also have a Yamaha receiver, then to a good pair of speakers. Thanks again! Fritz

Thanks so much to all. I set the TV to be the mirror of the Mac and it works! Now how to figure out how to get audio. Headphone jack out to a set of computer speakers? I also have a Yamaha receiver, then to a good pair of speakers. Thanks again! Fritz
BTW depending on how new your TV is you can hook it up to your WiFi network in the house. When that is done over wifi you can start having all your devices and computers work with the tv.

A lot of newer tvs these days are smart tvs and you program them to jump on your network so you can stream internet sources. At that point you then use the tv remote to select links to sites like netflix, hula or google. If you tv is setup to work with you computer devices they can be remotes.

Back
Top Bottom