Heresy I mod advice

I picked up some '82 Heresys from a thirft last summer and have rebuilt/restored them. First thing I did was replace the stock caps (I've never seen square metal caps before... interesting) with poly caps, stock value. I also added some poly fill I had left over from a DIY build. Can't really say I noticed a huge difference. One thing I've considered doing (didn't have the parts at the time but I do now) is to add a resistor to the mid to pull it down a bit. I also did that on some DIY speakers where the tweeter was waay too bright and overpowering the midrange. I found where someone else had tried that on the Klipsch forum and I think I will try that.

They also mentioned reconnecting the mid & tweeters to different taps on the autoformers. What would that change?

I'm open to eventually doing Crites diaphrams as everyone I've talked to said that makes a day & night difference. For now, I'm looking for some low cost improvements.

Moray James,

I don't have a working camera. I hope that this explanation will help.

When installing the HD fiberglass board into the speaker cabinet you do not want the flat dense surface of the board to face the woofer rather you want to rotate the HD board 90 degrees so that the reward radiation of the woofer fires directly into the least dense and the most porous part of the board. The more layers that you have side by side the better as each set of boards provides more and more loss of energy over the widest band possible. If you have any questions please ask. Best regards Moray James.

My research has pointed me towards Quartets (14x18 room), but no luck yet. So I'm looking at Heresy models which seem more available. If I understand correctly from this post and another, panels oriented this way:

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Ins...rd_wg=MVTmh&psc=1&refRID=20YJFMJ5VW3JYDAESCVB

(standing) inside the Heresy cabinet with the 2" edges facing front and back (the woofer). Questions:
1) These are 2", should I be looking for something thinner?
2) Do I move the crossover up, forward, or where to provide a uniform set of panel edges facing the woofer?
3) I want panels all the way against both sides? Just to the top of the woofer, or higher?
4) These Heresy cabinets don't seem to have a lot of cross-bracing. Any problem adding a dowel or two in the middel of the cabinet?

Also wondering if you have any experience with the different diaphragms. Would not be wary of going to aluminum, but it looks like the only choices are titanium. I've heard a lot of "bright" speakers that I don't like too much. Coming from older Dynaudion/Audio Physics experience, where I think aluminum was the norm.

Thanks!

I was once visiting with Roy (Delgado at Klipsch). The conversation turned towards 'why do you put some filler material inside some speakers (Cornwall for example) but not in others (LaScala)???

He looked up whilest eating his carrots and said something similar to "Because the LaScala didn't need it"

His net implication is/was, if they felt a speaker benefited from some sort of fiber-fill, they did it....and if it didn't.....they didn't.

(the Jubilee for example, has some in it)

I was once visiting with Roy (Delgado at Klipsch). The conversation turned towards 'why do you put some filler material inside some speakers (Cornwall for example) but not in others (LaScala)???

He looked up whilest eating his carrots and said something similar to "Because the LaScala didn't need it"

His net implication is/was, if they felt a speaker benefited from some sort of fiber-fill, they did it....and if it didn't.....they didn't.

(the Jubilee for example, has some in it)

Thanks for the comment - will note that: http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Heresy-II-Specs.pdf

says "Special foam inside the cabinet minimizes internal reflections and results in smoother frequency response" - IDK if the specific type of insulation moray recommends was available then. My research led me to think I won't be completely happy with the Heresy vs the Quartet or Forte, but given my room size and that the latter are more rarely available then the former, am taking a leap of faith on moray's observations that it will be better than the "Heresy bass sucks" impression I get from the internets. A sub is not an option for me.

Considered a Crite's CS-1.5T, but there really aren't many reviews out there. Also considered the Fusion 12 Tempest, but I do know I loved the Klipsch sound back in the 80's and lean more audiophile (return to tubes) than HT right now.

if you have the ability and the tools/resources it is a pretty easy thing to turn a Heresy into a Forte. It's just a larger box, double the height and you will have plenty of bass extension. a couple of 4" vents 7" long should get you into the zone.

Back
Top Bottom