What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Hey Brother DB94,

Oh yeah, the 3000 is a beautiful piece of gear. However, being the Senior Level EE that I am, I always study Schematics, PC Board Layout and overall construction of expensive gear prior to purchase. I bought the service manuals ahead of time from Yamaha to do so. I could have afforded the A-S3000, but could not justify it technically or sonically. So, I made a judgment call and bought the A-S2100. I have a friend at Crutchfield, so when brand new ones for both of my integrated amps ended up as special purchase, he hooked me up with kick ass deals. In ~ May of 2015 I got the A-S2100 new for $2499.00. In ~ May of 2014 I got the A-S2000 new for $1399.00. I've been happy with my decisions as I re-pieced together my current 2 CH system using vintage stuff I had and adding the newer stuff along the way. :)

-Blitz
Nothing wrong with any of the gear you have at all. I'm hopelessly hooked on tubes myself anyways. I still have some nice vintage Yamaha ss gear, M65, M45, C80 that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, just not currently getting used.:(

AXO5h7S.jpg

Dude, I've got pretty good ears, but I don't hear anything before the first line - "Lunatic Fringe, I know you're out there." But, if you search for the lyrics, it says there is a line there. Weird. I won't put it here, for those that may want to try to figure it out.
its within the first 25 seconds on my vinyl when i have the eq tuned just right - man's voice saying something like "its out there on the horizon." don't hear it on the digital version you posted. must be something like the recording in "the sixth sense."

Nothing wrong with any of the gear you have at all. I'm hopelessly hooked on tubes myself anyways. I still have some nice vintage Yamaha ss gear, M65, M45, C80 that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, just not currently getting used.:(
Hey DB94, Nothing wrong with your tube addiction :) they have a nice warm sound quality to them. I think tube gear is totally bitchen. My motto is: run with what you love, and that you have done my friend.

-Blitz

Hey DB94, Nothing wrong with your tube addiction :) they have a nice warm sound quality to them. I think tube gear is totally bitchen. My motto is: run with what you love, and that you have done my friend.

-Blitz
You may remember that a couple of weeks ago I hooked up the M65 to those itty bitty ADS L400's (230 watts/4 ohms) and said "Hmm, damn that sounds good." :cool:

You may remember that a couple of weeks ago I hooked up the M65 to those itty bitty ADS L400's (230 watts/4 ohms) and said "Hmm, damn that sounds good." :cool:

Hey DB94,

As matter of fact I do recall that now that you "jogged" my memory. :) If your speakers are capable to be bi-amped you might want to consider running a test: Use the M65 to drive the bass and your tube amp to drive mids/highs. Then you'll have the best of both worlds. Tubes for the warmth you love and SS for tight, precisely controlled bass. SS by design & physics has a much higher damping factor then tubes. This provides a faster slew rate and ability to better control the physical woofer driver from overshoot and better settling time. SS also does a great job on handling BEMF. This the voltage the woofer generates that is pushed back into the amplifier.

-Blitz

Hey Kevin, You seem to have the stamina of a race horse :) I'd be dead after all you've been doing.

I take it a bit at a time. The beer that I promised myself about 24 hours ago is still untouched in my cave. I ran out of time. Only 8 hours to go and I can relax. That 8 hours breaks down into several chunks; loading, driving and delivering, so there's no huge timespan to face. I think that's the killer for many people in mundane jobs - lack of variety. I can work 14 to 16 hours a day and often find myself running short of time.

I take it a bit at a time. The beer that I promised myself about 24 hours ago is still untouched in my cave. I ran out of time. Only 8 hours to go and I can relax. That 8 hours breaks down into several chunks; loading, driving and delivering, so there's no huge timespan to face. I think that's the killer for many people in mundane jobs - lack of variety. I can work 14 to 16 hours a day and often find myself running short of time.
I would imagine you prefer the days when there is lots of action as opposed to standing around, even though you're getting payed in either case...

Back
Top Bottom