Klipschorns with a Sansui AU9500

If the AU9500 has the same house sound as my AU20000, no I wouldn't consider it to be a good match. That era Sansui has a rather bright and lean character to my ears.

If the AU9500 has the same house sound as my AU20000, no I wouldn't consider it to be a good match. That era Sansui has a rather bright and lean character to my ears.

The later model series did move to that "bright and lean" AKA "audiophile" sound.

playittwice,

The AU-9500, 8500, 7500, and 6500 are from before that happened. If you listen to records (which were the main source back then) you are in for a special treat because this series has an undocumented deviation designed into the phono equalization gain stage that elevates the low end a little extra bit... this is before the pre-amp, tone circuits, or main amp stages, and likely contributes to the "warm sound" description associated with this series.

For the AU-9500, the smooth deviation curve initiates at 320Hz and rises to +3.5dB at 20Hz...

20Hz +3.5dB
40Hz +2dB
80Hz +0.75dB
160Hz +0.25dB
320Hz +0dB

I have a very nice AU-6500 that sounds really great with my La Scalas.

Contrary to popular belief the Hifi industry goes through cycles. I think even more so when the Orientals started taking over sales and designs. Don't worry about accuracy, what can we do next to pre mote sales. That and reviewers striving for austere hyper accurate sound drove the market in the wrong direction, What ever happened to live concert hall sound in the home. Listening to to closely miked multi channel mono doesn't make for a pleasant experience. Thank heaven there are a few labels trying to carry on with accurate sound.

Now if the Gov and the School systems would support the arts there might be a future for accuracy in sound reproduction returning for our kids in the future before us old folks die off.

Got the amp and love it! Smooth warm and punchy with authority. That's how I'd describe it with K-Horns. Seems like a great match.

I imagine it's a dream system come true. When you had had some time with it, I'd love reading a detailed review.

Back
Top Bottom