Renaissance 80 verses Infinity RS 2.5

geph0007

AK Member
Subscriber
Renaissance 80 verses Infinity RS 2.5. Any thoughts on this?? One thing that bothers me about the 2.5s ios the sense of the stage being over there ie across the room verses more 3 d or floated in front of you. I did not figure that out until i got rid of my RS IIIBs . I know they did something better but i could not put my finger on it until later. Same thing with the Vandy 2Cs I have more intiaite and up front verse over there. Thanks

Can't comment on the Ren 80's, but I'm confused about what you're describing about the 2.5's. I've never noticed anything weird regarding the sound stage with them, if anything it's stellar. I wonder if it's a positioning thing? Mine have worked their way into an almost permanent position in the main rig.

bs

Have you in other speakers at the same time and moved them in and out to compare?? The stage does not do the 3D thing or come much forward of the grills. Another guy did a review and had some very high buck speakers and pointed out the same thing . For example PSB Golds in direct comparison is very very much right in front of you. When one goes to the 2.5 the stage backs up but is taller and naturally the imaging is sharper. One cannot have it all.

Have you in other speakers at the same time and moved them in and out to compare?? The stage does not do the 3D thing or come much forward of the grills. Another guy did a review and had some very high buck speakers and pointed out the same thing . For example PSB Golds in direct comparison is very very much right in front of you. When one goes to the 2.5 the stage backs up but is taller and naturally the imaging is sharper. One cannot have it all.

I physically move them in and out of this room. My rotation consists of the 2.5's, Ohm F's, Ohm I's, and Magnepan MG IIc's, and Magnepan SMG's (both of the latter I'm performing some subwoofer experiments with).

When sitting in my listening spot, I don't hear the sound as coming from in front or behind either grille. It mostly sounds transparent, as though it's coming from between the speakers, with obvious left channel/right channel stuff coming from the left of center or right of center, respectively. That's the way I always thought it should sound.

My room is maybe 15' x 20', with the speakers along the long wall. They're a couple of feet out from the wall, maybe 10' apart, and pointed inwards by maybe 10 degrees.

bs

While not ever having heard the Ren 80's I have listened to the 90's. Had 2.5, 4.5, RSIIb, RS1a, and a bunch others including the PSB Golds. It's more of a preference of the way you like to listen to music. I prefer the wider soundstage. I hate the in your face and small imaging sound. For the life of me I've yet to figure out why you place one chair in the middle of two speakers to listen to music. I like it all over. Even prefer 7.1 stereo when set up. But, I've usually had the advantage of being able to have the room for both listening and home theatre usage.

The 90's didn't sound bad at all in the spot. Even a bit off center they still held up. I just like the wider sound. The PSBs didn't last long as I was too used to the sound of the 2.5. I have hardly ever had any trouble positioning the 2.5s. Now that I am running the RS1a's it's almost back to MY version of music nirvana, with my version being compared to when I had the 4.5s.

It's awesome that you are exploring the nuances of speakers. It never should stop as I've made it a point to do just that and lately with the newer speakers. There's some glorious sound out there but for some reason I always come back to Infinity.

Back
Top Bottom