Show your Bicycle !

Nice bikes!

Here's my latest project - an early 90's Davidson frame (local Seattle builder who's still at it). I built the wheels and a friend helped me set up the tires tubeless. I got a cheap Ultegra 6800 group from Ribble and found the Ritchey WCS shallow bars on ebay. The Salsa stem I have been hoarding for years just waiting for the right bike to put it on. :) What's holding me up is the stop on the chainstay for the rd housing takes a weird stepdown ferrule. Hopefully I can track something down and have it cabled up and on the road this weekend.

25561034593_414646b396_b.jpg

Here's three in my stable that I think represent new manufacturers to this thread
:View media item 6927My "summer" bike, Merckx AXM, Campy Record 11 build
View media item 6926The Salsa Vaya rain bike, Ultegra triple build
View media item 6925My beloved Miyata 1100, a late 70's classic, I believe, that I've owned since new. My uncle was the importer back in the day. Previous to Miyata, he imported Gitanes. I had an early 70's touring Gitane that I wish was still around.

Trek Bike.JPG This is my Trek 730 Multi-track, I had been using my Raleigh road bike for years, about ten years ago I saw this listed for free in a local paper. I figured I would check it out but expected it to be too small for me (I'm about 6'1" ). I checked it out, fit me just fine. I gave it to a friend, he used it for two years, then gave it to my teenage son. My son lost interest in it, I started riding it ( now that I'm older I really don't care for dropped handlebars) and fell in love with it! I use it all the time, yesterday I took it for a thirty mile ride. I don't know if it is standard, but the seat post and handle bar stem have a "shock absorber" in them. Nothing fancy, but a nice ride for sure!Trek Bike.JPG

Last edited:
I spent this afternoon converting my '95 Sunn Vertik 2 to a single speed, and doing some long overdue general maintenance.

Before:

After (it still needs a trip to the mechanic for some issues I'm not confident fixing myself, but overall I'm quite pleased with the result):

My winter/bad weather bike:

I sold this Battaglin road bike last year. I wasn't happy to see it go, as it was in excellent condition, and rode very well. But the 52cm. frame was just a bit too small for me to ride it comfortably.

No races. Suntour TOTL groupsets were really at the top in this days. Their problem was not to have anything near to Shimanos Hyperglide.

Wow!!!! Great thread!!! I will read the whole thing this weekend, but I thought I'd go ahead and get in line.

I picked up my Cervelo last summer, used but damn near perfect. It is the best bike I'll ever own, probably, and possibly the best machine.

BTW, I picked up that bike stand yesterday at Aldi - $29.99

IMG_20170428_210932.jpg

image-20170428_212458.jpg

IMG_20170428_214648.jpg

Wow!!!! Great thread!!! I will read the whole thing this weekend, but I thought I'd go ahead and get in line.

I picked up my Cervelo last summer, used but damn near perfect. It is the best bike I'll ever own, probably, and possibly the best machine.

BTW, I picked up that bike stand yesterday at Aldi - $29.99

View attachment 919664

View attachment 919665

View attachment 919666

Careful! Only clamp the seatpost when working on the bike on the stand. Carbon tubes are very thin.

I like my current two-wheeler, but I've had a couple of upgrade itches lately. I have not acted on them. ;) I was looking for a "commuter" type of bike for running errands, and locally a Specialized Expedition came up for sale. The difference is that the seating position is further back, so the riding position is more upright. It still has a suspension front fork and a spring seat post, so taking all of those curbs and bumps in the local roads won't be so jarring. I may get my better half this same bike in the "low entry" version, as she currently has a Giant Sedona from about a dozen years ago--it's a solid bike, but not very comfortable to ride (given her health issues). The seating position of the Expedition would be easier on the wrists and the back. I can find deals on brand new models that are from 2015 still. (2017 discontinued the Expedition, replacing it with the Roll, which loses some of the features.)

For the trail, however, I was eyeballing a new Specialized Sirrus Sport Carbon, which has the carbon frame. I've read that the Sirrus (even w/o the full carbon frame) is a fast bike. Rather than a suspension fork, the Sirrus has what are called Zertz inserts which absorb some of the road shock. This setup has the flat handlebar and disc brakes that I prefer. I just don't like the color (a drab mix of charcoal/carbon grey/red...ugh). I may wait until next season and see what they offer next year for color choices.

Back
Top Bottom