Vintage amps or Marantz SR19

PK Vintage

Hello,
I am new to the Home theater idea. I Have a chance to buy a Marantz sr19 for quite reasonable under $125.00
It would be hooked to the following:

Paradigm 90p monitors (these have the on board 250 Watt sub amp built it)
Paradigm AD350 for the rear
Paradigm cc 370 V3 for the center.

The question is, I have several quality vintage amplifiers already that will support an A and B speakers configuration (front and rear I suppose) but not a center or surround sound.

Which route should I go for the TV system. I really have no idea. Thanks for any help.

• Marantz Specs

• AUDIO
  • Response Bandwidth
    10 - 50000 Hz
  • Signal-To-Noise Ratio
    105 dB
  • Total Harmonic Distortion
    0.05 %
POWER DEVICE
  • Power Consumption Operational
    440 Watt
AUDIO SYSTEM
  • Built-in Decoders
    DTS decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic
  • Surround System Class
    5.1 channel
  • THX certified
    Yes
  • Digital Sound Processor (DSP)
    Yes
  • DSP Preset Qty
AMPLIFIER
  • Output Channel Qty
  • Output Power / Total
    600 Watt
  • Input Impedance
    47 Ohm
  • Input Sensitivity
    350 mV
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT DETAILS
  • Output Power / Channel
    120 Watt
  • Output Impedance / Channel
    8 Ohm
  • Frequency Response
    20 - 20000 Hz
  • Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
    0.05 %
  • Channel Type
    center, front, surround
  • Channel Qty
    1, 2
CONNECTIONS
  • Type
    5.1 channel audio line-in, headphones, rear speakers output, S-Video input, S-Video output, SPDIF input, center speaker output, composite video/audio input, composite video/audio output, front speakers output
  • Qty
    1, 3
  • Connector Type
    4 pin mini-DIN, banana x 2, phone stereo 6.3 mm, RCA, RCA x 3, RCA x 6, TOSLINK, banana
  • Connector Location
    front, rear

Personally I would not invest in any AVR that does not have HDMI and Network options.

Eric

I can see buying an older AVR that does not have the Network option but HDMI is really needed at this point. That is the reason units like the one the OP is considering is so cheap......no HDMI.

Take a pass on the Marantz and invest in a decent new AVR, OP. And one can get a decent one around $500. My Sony with 7.1 HDMI from 2012 is still going strong.....it was around $399 back then.

The price is a good deal on a good quality Marantz if one is going to use it as a two channel unit but over priced for an AVR.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input you're right I have plenty of really good 2-channel amplifiers. Exactly what would the HDMI before just video or sound as well

You either jump on the HT (and AVR) bandwagon or you don't. That means getting suckered into the latest decoding and connection HDMI every few years and dumping your AVR for a new one at a massive loss.

Personally, having sold it, used it and fixed it over the years, I don't use any HT crap at all. It's all 2 channel. Less speakers, greater WAF and better sound. Intelligibility improves out of sight IMO with two channels used for movies- all the distracting stuff with explosions all over the room is diminished.

HT done properly can be very enjoyable. It does not replace a good 2 ch system, I have both and use each for different purposes.

I would suggest buying used for the reasons given above but I would also agree with the desirability of HDMI. Recent units with CEC allow all of your components, even different brands, to talk to each other and turn on and off together. That was only a dream years ago when I was selling retail audio and it really makes things more pleasant and user friendly for the rest of the family.

Technology does not change that fast, get a fairly recent unit and you will be fine as long as you are not worrying about 4K for now. It is precisely all the new updates that you do not really need that make for lots of great bargains in quality used AVRs.

The SR19 is a beautiful receiver with great sound. It actually makes for a great 2 ch piece and that price is very good. I had a very similar SR18. The downside of that whole series is that they have solder joints on the power amp sections that tend to short out and result in catastrophic failure (mine went that way). Fixing them or getting them apart for preventative maintenance is NOT fun:

Question is would I hear any difference from the Marantz. I could power the TV system with an Akai am2950 240 watts that I already have. Very nice vintage amp.
My current music only system is bryston bi amped 3b's with a bevy of speakers kappa 8. Wharfedale mach 9. EPI 100 series. Technics SB E200. KLH model 6's. All are upgraded. I do that with every set of speakers I buy. Point being is I am used to listening to some pretty good sound.

The Akai is worth 3 times the Marantz though so I could sell it and upgrade something else I suppose. Just looking for the best system in this budget though.

Keep the opinions coming please. Not quite at a decission yet.

Here's the deal...

If you want surround sound you need a surround sound receiver or surround sound preamp/processor.

If you simply want TV sound through several different speakers then you don't don't need surround sound gear.

True surround sound and sound from several different speakers positioned in surround sound-like manner are not at all the same thing.

Here's the deal...

If you want surround sound you need a surround sound receiver or surround sound preamp/processor.

If you simply want TV sound through several different speakers then you don't don't need surround sound gear.

True surround sound and sound from several different speakers positioned in surround sound-like manner are not at all the same thing.

Quite right. Also required for true surround are matched speakers, with a dedicated center channel that was designed for the job. Random mismatched speakers will almost certainly give a poor result, I would not bother going multi channel in that case.

You either jump on the HT (and AVR) bandwagon or you don't. That means getting suckered into the latest decoding and connection HDMI every few years and dumping your AVR for a new one at a massive loss.

Personally, having sold it, used it and fixed it over the years, I don't use any HT crap at all. It's all 2 channel. Less speakers, greater WAF and better sound. Intelligibility improves out of sight IMO with two channels used for movies- all the distracting stuff with explosions all over the room is diminished.

Two channel sound does simply does not sound as good with modern TV/DVD/BluRay encoded surround sound. Two channel music sounds best on a two channel system and that is why many on here, like me, have both two channel and multi channel systems. Explosions are not the only thing happening on TV and movies. Dialog is completely superior with a center channel.....and when something happens off screen to the left, you hear it there. When a car come from behind the person speaking? The sound comes from back there, just like in real life. Even HDMI 1.0 is capable of 1080P and that means that the new version while more capable, can still be used with the more modern versions and STILL have a great picture and sound. Its not like one wont get a black screen and no sound. And since HDMI cables are dirt cheap (for the smart consumer) it costs virtually nothing to change them. The industry has worked hard to make sure that while things change, the old systems still work just fine.

I bought my Sony AVR in 2012 that has 7.1 capability and HDMI and is STILL giving awesome sounds and pictures 5 years later. There is no reason to replace it until it dies really. If the TV dies first, then I will get a new 4K AVR.

Question is would I hear any difference from the Marantz. I could power the TV system with an Akai am2950 240 watts that I already have. Very nice vintage amp.
My current music only system is bryston bi amped 3b's with a bevy of speakers kappa 8. Wharfedale mach 9. EPI 100 series. Technics SB E200. KLH model 6's. All are upgraded. I do that with every set of speakers I buy. Point being is I am used to listening to some pretty good sound.

The Akai is worth 3 times the Marantz though so I could sell it and upgrade something else I suppose. Just looking for the best system in this budget though.

Keep the opinions coming please. Not quite at a decission yet.

Since you are just tipping your toe in the AVR waters, try something mid priced and modern. This Sony for $599 on Crutchfield, which means you can get it cheaper almost anywhere else, has virtually everything one needs in a modern AVR and is not crazy expensive. My Sony AVR has been great over the last 5 years and Sony gives you a huge amount for the money, with a two year warranty.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STN1070/Sony-STR-DN1070.html

• 7-channel amplifier
  • 100 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
  • Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
  • Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
  • upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 4K)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
  • built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
    • includes support for Spotify Connect (subscription required)
  • Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
  • Google Cast enabled for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
  • DLNA-certified for streaming music from compatible networked computers and devices
  • plays high-resolution DSD and PCM digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (DSD: up to 5.6MHz; PCM: up to 24-bit/192kHz)
  • built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible phone, tablet, or computer
    • LDAC™ technology enables transfer of high-resolution audio content via Bluetooth connection
    • NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
  • front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
Multi-room Audio/Video:
  • three-room/three-source output
    • powered stereo audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms (using powered 2nd and 3rd room outputs allows 3.2-channel home theater in main room)
    • line-level stereo audio output for Zone 2 for use with a separate power amplifier
    • HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
    • AirPlay and optical/coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 2
Connections:
  • HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out
    • HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all inputs and monitor outputs)
    • HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
  • front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
  • composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
  • digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
  • 4 analog stereo audio inputs
  • no phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
  • preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
  • stereo RCA Zone 2 outputs
  • outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
    • Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front High or Front B speakers, Zone 2 speakers, or to bi-amp compatible Front speakers
  • IR/remote in/out for use with IR repeaters or external control systems
  • Ethernet port
  • 1/4" headphone jack
General Features:
  • 4K and 3D pass-through
  • free Sony SongPal app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote; SongPal Link wirelessly connects compatible Sony components for whole-home audio
  • BRAVIA™ Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
  • IP Control lets you operate the receiver from a web browser control screen on a Windows PC connected to your home network
  • intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
  • dual Wi-Fi antennas
  • 30 FM presets
  • remote control
  • 17"W x 6-7/8"H x 13"D
  • weight: 23.2 lbs.
  • warranty: 2 years
  • Our 60-day money-back guarantee

Thanks for the input you're right I have plenty of really good 2-channel amplifiers. Exactly what would the HDMI before just video or sound as well

HDMI is simply better. One cable that carries vast amounts of sound and picture and with the new versions, ethernet info. One of the best things about HDMI is that they are improving it constantly WITHOUT changing the design of the cable.

I agree with most of you above. I have invested in 2ch amps and pre amps as well as home theater receivers, I decided about a year ago to do a little experimenting and did some investigating into the so called Uber receivers from approximately 01-09, these receivers were no expense spared on build quality, amps,capacitors etc etc.

I wanted to see if these things stood up to my Seperates which at the time was a Krell 300i as well as a B&K 200.2 and ref 50, so I started with a pioneer elite sc 09 and went through about 4 more ranging from B&K's own receiver the 507s2 to the Yamaha rxz11, I'm currently on an Onkyo TX-nr1000 I have it paired with an Oppo udp 203 via RCA's to multi channel so I get the latest surround processing and I basically use the oppo for everything it is connected to my computer which has a 5tb HD with all my Hi res music and movies and I Have chromecast audio hooked up for streaming Tidal, it plays my Sacds dvd audio as well as all my cds that haven't yet been ripped to the HD. Sound is alot better than I expected,actually it's so good that I'm procrastinating putting the integrated or 2ch rig back into place actually the Krell Is going to my brother .

Most will say why deal with all the cables because it's to much a hassle and that's a valid point, but for me it's not a problem at all, in fact I prefer the way this setup sounds via my interconnects vs an hdmi based setup with my gear and yes I have tested it with an all hdmi receiver, the pioneer elite sc09 was all hooked up that way and for movies it was good but 2ch left something to be desired for my ears, when hooked up analog with good interconnects the sound was cleaner to me ( maybe placebo who knows) Anyway my point is If you went the route with say the Marantz and you got a blue ray player that had analog outs to go to your receivers multi channel in then you would have the latest surround formats plus you would have some great sound 2ch that some of these cost no object receivers offer.

Audiofreak71

Thank you y for your very enlightening reply. You have definitely got my attention with this. A few things. I do not have a blue ray player. I generally use Kodi or standard means for movies. I do not want to invest in blue ray discs. I do have a descent extra dac around to use.
I will be using a laptop for music content, kodi and Tindal is coming soon.

Back
Top Bottom