My dad picked up some speakers for me...

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So he found these for dirt cheap and snagged them. I actually think they are pretty interesting, considering the fact they are so odd. I always get a kick out of trying things that are different and these should be interesting. I know that generally people don't like this era of Kenwood, but was there anything positive about them? I had some KL-777A's and they were surprisingly good.

Loud rock music.Put a powerful amp behind them.Not your typical audiophile speakers but I'll bet those can really put out the rock.Thats what the similar kabuki did for me.Holy Grail for some Kenwood collectors.

Yeah, these are different then my normal system and preferences lol. BUT, I'm always a sucker for trying new things, especially ones that are hard to find and unique.

I haven't had a chance to play with them, but I'm excited to see what they will sounds like. The entry fee was minimal so I'm not too worried if they don't do much for me. But it's like Christmas anytime something new comes in lol.

I didn't think they would be the holy grail for some Kenwood collectors. I did hear that they were not sold in the US and was overseas only.

Wow some serious specs on those babies 400w/99dB and 91.3 lbs. each! I think they're lovely. They definitely qualify as face melters. But do me a favor?
Get them off that concrete floor it hurts me to see that! Especially in the garage they take on moisture like a wick. :eek:

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/kl-10000z.shtml

Hey Dave,

Yeah they are out of the garage, that was just where they were unloaded until we could move inside. Should be an interesting listen, I'll have better pictures later and report back with thoughts on it.

Hey Dave,

Yeah they are out of the garage, that was just where they were unloaded until we could move inside. Should be an interesting listen, I'll have better pictures later and report back with thoughts on it.
PHEW!! Good to hear and I think you'll love them kabuki and all. I'd love to see pics of the back too_:naughty:

Ummmm...............wow.
King of the Kabuki?
Those certainly are.....interesting.
Wonder what the crossover looks like.

Aren't those just two speakers joined by a wooden top and bottom trim? I have seen them as separate models before.

There are some past posts on these. They basically joined two different Kenwood speakers in one big box. Very strange beasties.

Yeah, I've seen those before at AK too. Do a search for some info on them.

No need to stack speakers, you got a ready made wall of Sound right there.

Thanks Guys,

It's been interesting, still have to get them over to my place to take them for a spin. My initial impressions so far:

1) Quality is about middle of the road so far, nothing to awe inspiring to note. The cabs are ok, but could use better internal bracing. I'll take out a driver and snap a pic of the internals for sake of documentation. I'll also note all the drivers and what the model numbers are.
2) The grills are the typically plastic that Kenwood used on this era of speakers, there is some damage to the ones I have. I'll see if I can repair them as best as I can.
3) The tops of the cabinets are nothing fancy, but I've seen where folks would cut out a copy using some pine/walnut and so on. Really makes a difference, but just depends on how much time you want to spend/money.
4) The speakers are attached on the top and bottom, they also use a side port and connect. I'll snap pictures of this too so we can break them down and see what makes them tick, or lack of.

There is some leaking of the surround on the cones, but I'll see what I can do. I don't think there are many replacement drivers for sake of looks, but I'll know when I start looking further into it.

Back
Top Bottom