We know Pre 1974 Sansui Receivers are the Best Constructed So Which Models Sounded The Best Overall?

"Best" is extremely subjective and the subject of endless debate here. Everybody's ears are different. The only way to answer that question for yourself is to audition as many receivers of that era as you can then decide for yourself. This equipment is now over 40 years old. How it's been used and or stored over that period will effect the sound quality. With that in mind, even two examples of the same model will sound different. The only way to truely assess the sound quality of these vintage units is to do a faithful restoration first.

- Pete

"Best" is extremely subjective and the subject of endless debate here. Everybody's ears are different. The only way to answer that question for yourself is to audition as many receivers of that era as you can then decide for yourself. This equipment is now over 40 years old. How it's been used and or stored over that period will effect the sound quality. With that in mind, even two examples of the same model will sound different. The only way to truely assess the sound quality of these vintage units is to do a faithful restoration first.

- Pete
+1 :thumbsup:

Pre 1974
Pr. Power rating:
Low. AU-505
Low-medium *AU-777a
Medium: **AU-999, Eight, (D)

* Most impressive sonics
** AU-999 is probably the best overall but takes considerable modding, otherwise the Eight Deluxe is better unmodified.

P.s not sure if the 9090 is pre '74 ?

Yup....depends on your ears. For me that earlier "warmer" sound has the biggest variance compared to the later classic era take but once you jump into the higher models? Clarity popping out really sets them apart not only at higher volume levels but in the most important lower/average listening volumes.

My favorites are higher mid level (and up) Pioneer and Sansui because they are still easily found and where I've spent time listening. Best thing I can say is in concurring with others....once you decide? Get it looked at and gone through by a good tech. You will then have full comfort in enjoyment in listening and ownership.

Pre 1974
Pr. Power rating:
Low. AU-505
Low-medium *AU-777a
Medium: **AU-999, Eight, (D)

* Most impressive sonics
** AU-999 is probably the best overall but takes considerable modding, otherwise the Eight Deluxe is better unmodified.

P.s not sure if the 9090 is pre '74 ?

I had the au-505 and in was lovely with dynaco a-25s. Now i have the au-6600 from 1975 and its nice too!

I've had the 2000a, 2000x , 4000, 5000a, and 5000x. Also rebuilt a 2000 for someone.

The 4000 was my favorite, but the rebuilt 2000 was nice as well.

I don't have any from that line anymore.

Also the Eight Deluxe. Probably my favorite of the older receivers.

Rob

I'm pretty much the opposite from Robisme. I've listened to 4000's, 5000's, 8's and the 661. I keep coming back to the 2000, and the "A" and "X" versions.
Plus the 1000A.

I have an AU 5500 manufactured in 1974 which I bought new at a PX in Italy while in the Army. It is still working fine. I also have an AU 919 (much later vintage) which I bought about 10 years ago which also works great. I may be a Philistine, but I enjoy the highly colored sound of the 5500 for the 60s and 70s rock I listen to with the 5500 than the highly rated sound of the 919. Through the same JBL L36 speakers I use.

Also, I don't necessarily think it is a 'given' that the best overall sound from these receivers is, or should be 'Tubelike' :)

Last edited:
We know Pre 1974 Sansui Receivers are the Best Constructed...

I didn't know that.

It is a blanket statement which makes it incorrect. For example, the Sansui 210 was made before, and during 1974, and my G-8000 has way better construction.

In fact, my late 80's S-X1200 is better built than the 210.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom