Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Charlie's Tacos (Okinawa)

I have time on my hands, so I am seeking to satisfy my own taste for stuff. This means that I am after iconic foods from where I have been. An iconic food is food that you go for, before you do anything else, when you arrive in a city.

In 1975, I spent some great times in Okinawa (Kadena AFB), working on the SR-71 (Habu baby!). Just outside of gate 2, there was an iconic taco joint that had been there since the mid-50s, Charlie's Tacos. This place was the place to go, for everyone. Charlie made these wonderful, tiny tacos, that each person would eat, 10-15 at a sitting. The walls were papered with hand-made boasts, as to how many tacos, and how many Orion beers were consumed, by how many people. Charlie supplied the paper and colored pencils for the boasts. I still get a taste for those tacos, even unto today. I decided to see what I could do to replicate them, since I will not likely get back to Okinawa any time soon.

Charlie's taco shells were made from rice tortillas. I found some brown rice tortillas at Trader Joe's that fill the bill nicely, but I have to cut 3 tortillas out of each large size one (for authenticity).

The filling is pretty much traditional Tex-Mex, that has been Japan-ized just a bit. You know what? It took a few iterations, but I have gotten very close to the real thing. The traditional Tex-Mex (I'm from El Paso) filling components: onion, garlic, red chile powder, cumin powder, ground beef, tomato paste, salt, pepper. The elements that make it delectable to the Japanese palette: mirin, sake, and soy sauce.

Traditional supplements apply: lettuce, tomato chunks, cheese, etc.

Charlies.JPG

Charlie's filling was appropriated by others, to make another, even more iconic Okinawan dish: Takorisu (Taco Rice), which is like an Okinawan Loco Moco: the filling I mentioned, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, on a nice bed of Japanese rice. This is enjoyed throughout Japan, these days. I know where it came from, and now, so do you.

Please note that there are 5 tacos in this plate, and I ate 5 more in this one sitting. I used to be good for more, but I am older now.

I have more iconic foods to come, such as Chico's Tacos, from El Paso, Texas, and the Lincoln Grill Loco Moco, from Hilo, Hawaii, Pat's Chili Dogs, from Tucson, Arizona...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
POST #1000 !!

:banana: :banana: :banana:
Been saving this one for now ... bon appetit!

A little something special for all you fine cooks out there in AK Land. I call this one "Chicken Delight" ...

chicken-delight.jpg

Excellent and who doesn't like a "Little Wing" now and then? Reminds me of a story you may enjoy.

I worked in a New Orleans themed restaurant that belonged to a friend Harry's dad when I was a teenager. The place did have some musical cred with Alton Purnell playing Friday and Saturday nights. Harry and I did everything - peeled prawn, prep, bussed, bar-backed and handled the late orders in the kitchen when the chef was too far in the bag to do it. It was stressful, intense work and in 1972 a couple of snatched beers in the walk-in to cool down and a doobie on a quick break was usually in order when it slowed down. It's the end of a busy night, a good 30 minutes since the last order and the kitchen is bleached and 5 minutes from being closed when an order comes in for 4. It's Harry and I manning the kitchen, we're 16, completely wasted and have the giggles.

There's an order for frog legs which would normally be 3 individual legs breaded and fried. They came in vacuum bagged pairs, still attached. So on this night the lucky late patron got 4 legs still attached, breaded , fried and intertwined in the missionary position. Meanwhile Harry was doing the steaks and creole. Dinner is served and the lucky patron turns out to be the unlucky prude with no sense of humor and makes a huge scene. We're peaking out the kitchen door and she's screaming at Harry's dad. We are laughing our asses off. He charges the kitchen like a bull and starts screaming at us. We are laughing uncontrollably and the more he yelled the more we laughed until we were rolling on the floor gasping for breath and nearly pissing ourselves. It turned out to be my last night at the Club New Orleans, go figure. :D

Chicken fricassée again. This time with mushrooms and asparagus, served in puff pastry tartelettes. Danish cuisine at its best!

Mexican/West African Fusion

I had a strange taste for this stuff today, and it just about hit the spot.

First, I wanted hearts of palm. I don't know why, I just did. So, I made a nice Mexico City styled Hearts of Palm/Avocado salad. The vinaigrette consisted of apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt from the Israeli Dead Sea, oregano, brown sugar, and fresh-ground black pepper. The salad consisted of ripe avocados, hearts of palm, fresh corn kernels, an heirloom tomato, red onion, and raw pumpkin seeds that I lightly toasted.

Next, I had a taste for some West African Chicken in Peanut Sauce. The chicken rub consisted of sea salt from the Israeli Dead Sea, fresh-ground black pepper, minced garlic, onion powder, red chili powder. The peanut sauce consisted of diced onion, diced red and green bell pepper, diced red carrot, minced garlic, diced jalapeno chili, chicken broth, smooth peanut butter, tomato paste, heirloom tomato, fresh thyme, grated ginger, coconut milk, sea salt from the Israeli Dead sea, fresh-ground black pepper, and fresh parsley. We did not have any foo-foo, so we went with a nice, long grain rice.

I must say that it all went together very well.

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

IMG_1415.JPG

I must say that those drumsticks were the biggest I have ever seen.

Enjoy,
Rich P

MOREL MUSHROOMS ??

morels-(2).jpg

These have been popping up in the back 40 last couple years. Did some research, and what I'm looking for is:

- Tan color
- Deep crenulations
- They're completely hollow unlike their poisonous cousins.

Pretty sure I got the real deal here, but figured this might be a good place to double check before I poison myself. <G>

PS ... I've got quite a few more back there. They'll usually come up for a couple weeks anyway.

MOREL MUSHROOMS ??

morels-(2).jpg

These have been popping up in the back 40 last couple years. Did some research, and what I'm looking for is:

- Tan color
- Deep crenulations
- They're completely hollow unlike their poisonous cousins.

Pretty sure I got the real deal here, but figured this might be a good place to double check before I poison myself. <G>

PS ... I've got quite a few more back there. They'll usually come up for a couple weeks anyway.

They look like Morels to me. An amazing mushroom. Meaty, hearty. My mouth is watering as a I type.

morels.jpg

Steak, Ale and Mushroom Pie

This dish may violate the sensibilities of some here, but I have to go where I am led. I must say that Her-Heidiness (my bride and sous-chef) and I agree: this was one of the best meat pies we have tasted.

First, I started with the first offense. I purchased a beautiful 1-1/2 " thick, bone-in, rib-eye steak. Strangely, I had no taste for grilling it. Rather it called to me to do something special. So I trimmed it gently, and cut it into cubes, and seared the cubes in a nice peanut oil.

I then removed the steak cubes, and sauteed: large chunks of fresh carrot; a roughly chopped red onion; a roughly chopped yellow onion; large, quartered crimini mushrooms, and a bit of wheat flour. When that was ready, I added beef broth, thyme, Italian parsely, and a bit of Vietnamese palm sugar.

Now for the next possible offense. I wanted a bit less bitterness, and more sweetness than normal. So, rather than pouring in some nice British Ale, I poured in some Mexican Negro Modelo.

I put everything together and braised it long enough for a fine reduction to take place. Near the end, for a bit of umami, I added a couple of nice glugs of Vietnamese Red Boat fish sauce. This supplies the only salt that could be found in our pies (not much at all). There also was no black pepper added.

Toward the end of the braising, Her-Heidiness worked her magic with a couple of wonderfully short top crusts.

Here is what we wound up with:

topless.JPG

topped.JPG

Served with ice cold remnants of the six-er of Negro Modelo, we could not have been more pleased.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Mexican Combination Plate

As I get older, I get to where, no matter how good something is, I get bored easily. I am a great fan of Spanish tappas, and commensurate offerings from other cultures. As such, I truly like varieties of tastes and textures in a single meal, and eschew things like casseroles, and such...too many bites the same.

Here we have what I used to go out for. Since I became a man of leisure (retired), I have begun to enjoy great intensity of flavor, and variety in a meal. I usually order from the ala carte menu. We eat so much better at home these days. I have been accused of being a frustrated chef. I guess it is true. If having a restaurant was just making people happy with food, I would have been doing that for decades now.

First, we have a nice salsa, consisting of re-hydrated dried poblano chiles, with: fire roasted green chilis, chopped chocolate tomatoes, red chili powder, red onions, toasted raw pumpkin seeds, chopped raw white carrots, cilantro, fresh lime juice, and salt.To go with it, fresh tortilla chips, made from fresh, white corn tortillas.

Next we have a chile relleno: a fresh poblano chile, stuffed with Monterrey jack cheese, and dipped in egg batter and fried.

Next, a cheese enchilada: rolled fresh white corn tortilla, filled with Monterrey jack cheese and scallions, and covered with red enchilada sauce.

Next, a ground beef taco: a crispy-fried white corn tortilla, filled with ground beef, black pepper, salt from the Israeli Dead Sea, tomato sauce, diced tomato, chopped yellow onion, and lettuce.

Finally, Cuban black beans, refried in butter, and topped with crumbled Mexican Cotija cheese.

Dinner (5-19).jpg

Salsa.JPG

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom