MX-110 tuner/preamp: What's the most synergistic McIntosh amplifier?

monkboughtlunch

Which McIntosh amplifier is most synergistic with an MX-110 Z series?

I've read a number of threads and these four amps tend to be mentioned most often:

• MC30- Tube rectified (mono blocks which require more real estate)
  • MC225 - Tube / SS rectified
  • MC240 - Tube / SS rectified
  • MC2505 (MC250) - Solid State
Also, how would a modern MC275 VI stack up? I've read these use lead free solder and printed circuit boards and the transformer is somewhat different than vintage models.

I personally feel the new 275 would be better with a better more modern preamp and one that has balanced outputs.

the MX110 would work fine with any of the other amps you posted and the real question would be what speakers you plan on using. And another point is, any of those amps can be mono blocked for more power aside form the mc30s.

I would not recommend the MC275 VI be used with the MX110 which should only be used with amplifiers having input impedance of 100,000 ohm or greater. Input impedance of MC275 VI is only 47,000 ohm which may adversely affect performance.

Any of the other models will work fine with the MX110, as well as the original version MC275 - all of which are well in excess of 100,000 ohm.

For tube and efficient speakers I would choose the 225. If you need power the 275. If you want SS I would choose the sweet little 502. I own a 2505 and have owned 2100's 2200's used 2250's. But I would choose 7100 or 7200, but the problem is the input impedances are to low for the MX-110.

I've used mine with an Mc2300 and an MC250, both of which sounded terrific.

In terms of period correct solid state, how does the 2505 compare with the tubed MC240? Does the 2505 have more "grain" than the MC240?

Has anyone tried a Marantz 8B with an MX110? If so, how does well does an 8B stack up vs an MC240 or MC225? Anyone know the input impedance of an 8B?

I would not recommend the MC275 VI be used with the MX110 which should only be used with amplifiers having input impedance of 100,000 ohm or greater. Input impedance of MC275 VI is only 47,000 ohm which may adversely affect performance.

Any of the other models will work fine with the MX110, as well as the original version MC275 - all of which are well in excess of 100,000 ohm.

Thanks. What would be the negative impact of using an MC275 VI with 47,000 ohm input impedance?

Thanks. What would be the negative impact of using an MC275 VI with 47,000 ohm input impedance?

My guess is that it would be similar to mismatched phono cartridge loading, ie: frequency response irregularities, rolled off highs and such.

McIntosh expected, for the most part, the MX110 would be paired with a McIntosh amplifier of the same era and any of the MC225/240/275 series of stereo amplifiers would be an ideal match, in addition to the MC250/2505, MC2100/2105. As to which sounds "best" is another question. Personally, I have found any sonic differences between a number of '60s era McIntosh amplifiers to be on a negligible order of magnitude:

Instantaneous switching (as opposed to changing out amplifiers) can be revealing (and humbling) as to how limited our auditory memory is at making these very fine types of listening comparisons. As always, YMMV.

As recommended on the other forum, my advice is to make condition your first search criteria. It will have far more bearing on your enjoyment, satisfaction and investment value of your vintage purchase than any sonic minutia between units may or may not have.

One man's opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom