Wheeler Dealers - Discovery Changes the show, Edd China Leaves

I catch the show on occasion whilst travelling and always enjoy it.
But often the logic of it all escaped me - they'd buy a car for $10k, put $2k of parts into it, then spend a zillion hours on Edd's labor - list it for $14K and sell it for $13k.
I get it, it's all for TV and I suspect that they didn't want their viewers to think they were making a killing on the car but a real business (or investor) wouldn't go through all that effort and risk for such scant returns.
As automotive drama it is fun - but if Mike was my pal I'd slap him (metaphorically of course).

I catch the show on occasion whilst travelling and always enjoy it.
But often the logic of it all escaped me - they'd buy a car for $10k, put $2k of parts into it, then spend a zillion hours on Edd's labor - list it for $14K and sell it for $13k.
I get it, it's all for TV and I suspect that they didn't want their viewers to think they were making a killing on the car but a real business (or investor) wouldn't go through all that effort and risk for such scant returns.
As automotive drama it is fun - but if Mike was my pal I'd slap him (metaphorically of course).
I don't believe that investment and profit was in any way the point of the show. It was more or less for the Average Joe to see how to buy used cars that needed attention. Obviously the show's principal players and such couldn't keep the cars themselves but the viewers certainly could. They were also showing that in many cases the Average Joes could do much of the work if they were so inclined, even Edd had to farm out some of the specialty work.

I don't believe that investment and profit was in any way the point of the show.
Oh, I understand that - but it was called "Wheeler Dealers" which made me think there was some profit motive involved. You know, buy low - sell high.
Plus I thought early on the idea of the show was that Mike was buying and selling cars in an effort to move up the "food chain", autowise.

Oh, I understand that - but it was called "Wheeler Dealers" which made me think there was some profit motive involved. You know, buy low - sell high.
Plus I thought early on the idea of the show was that Mike was buying and selling cars in an effort to move up the "food chain", autowise.
You are right about that. They did turn a profit on the odd occasion though not often enough to support a retail business. Mike's history was used car sales and other douchebag pursuits whereas Edd was a good ol' mechanic.

So the thing to do is to get Edd on a show of his own. One hour long. Deep dive into details.

A car club I'm in has a member that bought one of the show's cars. He said it does run and drive well.

Chip

happens daily. VPs decide to kick star of show off to lower production costs, fund new
shows, and pocket the difference. oops - forgot that 7 figure bonus for 3.9 ratings...

ready for road repair ninjas while naked, afraid, dressed in white, with only a pocket knife?

Sorry to see Edd go. His nice video of working under the vehicle has taught me a lot and saved me lots of money. Good thing I haven't seen all the old ones. Love it when they worked on everyday tired exotics.

Edd's back with an interesting rebuild of a Golf GTi on Youtube. This is his first clip on his new Youtube channel. No dramas, doors slamming or glossing over the details. The headlining on this Golf looks like a real pain to install.

Edd's back with an interesting rebuild of a Golf GTi on Youtube. This is his first clip on his new Youtube channel. No dramas, doors slamming or glossing over the details. The headlining on this Golf looks like a real pain to install.

Ooh, early evening viewing fodder (like now) and VW too!

:thumbsup:

Right, because people don’t want to do anything that actually involves getting their hands dirty. I’ll bet that if they could pay someone to decorate their Christmas tree and house for Christmas....they would. So of course a hands on auto repair wouldn’t be popular anymore because they prefer to let someone else do everything !

Edd is truly a class act. I have already subscribed to his youtube channel and you guys should too!

Brewer is just going for the cash and that's perfectly OK too. The real assholes are the pinheads at Discovery.

This reminds me of Space 1999 which was awesome until the American TV jerkoffs ruined it.

Back
Top Bottom