Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Snagged these JBL Studio Monitor 4408 for $20 yesterday at goodwill. They need re-foamed and it sounds like one tweeter works and one doesn't. I haven't opened them up to see If the problem is the tweeter itself or not. The Lpad on the one with the working tweeter seems to work find. They were painted black and some point but I can see the wood grain underneath in one spot so maybe I can remove the paint. We shall see. Was thinking they might be good garage speakers but I've ready where they make better near-field monitors and they might get too much juice in the garage and get ruined. Maybe I'll replace the White Van theater speakers I'm using for monitors on my computer desk and use the JBLs as monitors as intended. The serial numbers are 277780 and 277788, only 8 numbers apart. Not too bad.

2017-05-19_17.38.01.jpg

2017-05-19_17.37.20.jpg

2017-05-19_17.38.18-1.jpg

While not a huge bargain I managed to get a pair of AR-2ax speakers in decent shape from a second hand store a few weeks ago for $90:...
$125 and maybe 4-5 hours into these. No way can you buy anything that sounds this good for twice the price. I think these are keepers!

These ARs sound soooooooo good. Cheap at ten times the price, in my opinion!. Rich. Big. Full. Absolutely natural.

Wow. I guess I should have been keeping a GW journal all these years.

OK, this isn't recent; I picked it up several years ago. But I just got around to goo-goning the price sticker off of this Onkyo TA-250c, which is currently the cassette deck I'm using. It was $2.59. I'm certain the Sherwood holding it up was also from GW, but the memory of that transaction is lost in the mists of time.

Attachments

• on-sherwood2.jpg
    on-sherwood2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 63
The wife and I went out to eat tonight and she wanted to hit a couple of thrift stores on the way. She didn't find anything, but I struck paydirt.
All of this for $16.
the Blasters "Non-Fiction" LP
James Brown "The One" hardcover book
Marshall Crenshaw "Live!" DVD-Audio
The rest are CD's:
Marshall Crenshaw "Mary Jean & 9 Others" (had it, but for $1.50 I'll pass it on to a friend)
Barrence Whitfield & the Savages "Ritual of the Savages"
Barrence Whitfield & Tom Russell "Cowboy Mambo"
The Specials s/t
Willie DeVille "Miracle"
Syd Straw "Surprise
0dadcafd4d.jpg

There seems to always be a pair of these at goodwill, sony must've sold a ton of them. I picked up a pair for the same price to play around with. Stuffed them, and added a simple crossover. The highs on these are too fatiguing imo.

Mine are still sitting there dejectedly waiting their turn. :)

Another Monday media day at GW's Buy the Pound. I bought a ton of DVD season box sets for my flea market table. I took a picture of the stack after I priced them up. Everything from The X-Files to Orange is the New Black. Then I went next door to the retail store and they had 4 bins of records that had just come in. All the vinyl was VG+ or better.

2017-05-22 14.25.47.jpg 2017-05-22 14.26.30.jpg 2017-05-22 14.26.56.jpg 2017-05-22 14.40.11.jpg

Last edited:
Picked these up at goodwill for $20 a couple of months ago. They were both busted, so I put them aside until I found enough boredom to work on them. Re-foamed both woofers, and reattached one of the crossover caps. Judging by the bead of sealant I ripped opening them up, pretty sure I'm the first one to open them up. But each speaker had 2 drinking straws guiding the long screws through the stuffing o_O

These are passive, in the pictures of the powered versions I've seen, these are always upright, with tweeter up top, and woofer on bottom, both angled up. But the badging on these, along with the mounting system, looks like these are meant to be used horizontally as I've got them pictured. Anyone know for sure optimal positioning for these? I'm thinking of using them as rear surrounds in HT.
20170202_233827_zps7karirn2.jpg

I have a pair. Mount them on shorter stands upright. They have a pretty full sound for their size. You got a good purchase there, enjoy. Oh by the way, they should make fine surrounds.

Back
Top Bottom