Any Megadeth or Metallica fans?

my 2 Cents would suggest "Rust In Peace"

Then Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia....then maybe work back to the beginning. One thing you can say about Megadeth they are consistent. Only dud for me was Risk, but I like all the rest including Dystopia.

I picked up a double CD with Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction. Brand new and inexpensive.

Only listened to Rust once, and it was casual. I can say I didn't hate it, and some of the drums, vocals, and guitar work caught my ear so it deserves a few more runs before I make a decision.

Sometimes I find tracks I really like that were not hits, or even B sides. So I need to really listen several times before some of the songs "click" with me.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I also picked up a Cole Porter, You're the Top: Cole Porter in the 1930s. boxed set with the book for $4 at Good Will. So how's that for eclectic music tastes?

A thread after my own heart. Like a lot of guys who grew up with this stuff, I liked "earlier" Metallica and "later" Megadeth. I also sadly realize how long it's been since some of these albums came out.

Metallica really found their sound on RtL, improved it on MoP, and to my mind, perfected it on aJFA. Yes, we all know the mix on aJFA was bad, but the playing, song structure, and lyrical content had Metallica at their apex. And growing up listening to much of the 80's "metal" there was, I still remember hearing RtL at 14 for the first time, and having my mind literally blown. This music came out when I was young and pissed off, and the music itself was raw, young, and also pissed off. I could not believe just how heavy it was, while retaining melody. And then the slow slide into popularity ensued, starting with the black album, and characterized by a mad lurching between styles and genres trying to capture/recapture something (St. Anger anyone?).

In many ways, Metallica reflects many of us who grew up listening to them, but their midlife crisis isn't a mistress or sports car - it's an album where they try to recapture their youth (HtSD). And like all of us, they find whatever they do in their middle age can never be anything but a pale comparison of what they did in their youth. The intensity of feeling we had, our railing against the injustice we saw in the world, the clarity of vision, and certainty of belief we possessed when young - all of these dissipate as we age.

The problem with early catalog Metallica is it simply doesn't sound that good. RtL sounds like it was recorded in a tiled bathroom, for MoP they hung a shower curtain and some towels, and for aJFA, they finally got into a proper recording room, but locked the bassist outside. Though in some ways, the rawness of the earlier recordings reminds me of much of the 70s punk I love - not the best for flexing your stereo's legs, but superb in capturing the immediacy of the time in which the music was created.

Megadeth was different for me - I had heard cuts off of KiMB, Peace Sells, SFSGSW, and RiP, and while I enjoyed the musicianship, the music (for the most part) left me a bit cold. Whereas Megadeth was making technically incredible music, Metallica was making incredibly emotionally resonant music. However, for me this all changed when CTE came out.

CTE is still to this day, in my top five favorite albums of all time. Dave decided that instead of writing a song to contain a solo, that writing a song that happened to contain a solo was a better approach. Not only did he finally capture coherent melody (This Was My Life, Foreclosure of a Dream, and the title track are great examples of this), having a second album with no lineup changes seemed to help with the planning, playing, and songwriting.

So it was an interesting time:

Metallica had put our four solid albums, with each arguably better than the one before it. The fifth was their greatest commercial success, and their true launch into the mainstream. To many of the fans from the beginning, this change meant that Metallica would never be the same again. And they have not been. Those who like "new" Metallica would likely disagree with me. But they likely also were not an incredibly pissed off teenager in 1984.

Megadeth had put out four albums of mixed quality, though the fourth had the most encouraging signs of improvement. The fifth was their greatest commercial success, and suggested they were primed to launch into the mainstream. To many fans from the beginning, Megadeth was finally fulfilling the promise it had once shown.

To me, things went downhill for both from this point. Metallica became a commercial success with pure shite like "Hero of the Day" and "Until it Sleeps", and have continued to sell millions of albums despite their questionable content. Try listening to the entire St. Anger album without yelling at least once "Lars! Loosen your f'ing snare for God's sake!" (tang, tang, tang, tang)

Megadeth has been somewhat more prolific in terms of issuing material, but their creative direction seemed to wander - almost as if Dave was trying to write that one "magic" song that would make Megadeth eternally more popular than Metallica. Youthanasia was a very well-written and played album, followed by the criminally underrated Cryptic Writings. However, this was all flushed down the toilet with Risk (WCW....seriously Dave?), and the wholly unremarkable TWNaH.

However, whereas I felt Metallica's last good album was aJFA, Megadeth surprised with their release of "The System has Failed" in 2004. It is unfortunate it fell on deaf ears, but was somewhat inevitable due to changes in music broadcasting and the advent of musical democracy via the Internet. If you have not listened to this album, you must listen to this album.

It is very rare to listen to an album all the way through any more - this is one you can - worst track is the last. Although it ended up being (to me) Megadeth's last hurrah, what a great last hurrah it was. Some have referred to this as a Dave Mustaine solo album; in many ways much of Megadeth was a Dave Mustaine solo album. However, using mainly studio musicians (including Chris Poland!) Dave put together the second best Megadeth album ever recorded. And despite the promise (again) shown from this album, Megadeth has followed it with a rather unremarkable and forgettable series of albums. Dystopia is somewhat better than the others, but a far cry from as little as 13 years ago when tSHF came out.

Wow, that post ended up being way longer than I originally intended. And if asked for song recommendations (I'll keep it to a few per album):

Metallica:
Kill 'em All - The Four Horseman, Motorbreath
Ride the Lightning - For Whom the Bell Tolls, Escape, Creeping Death
Master of Puppets - Master of Puppets, Disposable Heroes, Battery
...And Justice for All - The Shortest Straw, Blackened, Dyer's Eve, ...And Justice for All
S/T - Sad But True
Pass on the rest, though I do need to give Hardwired...to Self Destruct a fair shake

Megadeth:
Killing is my Business... - Rattlehead, Mechanix
Peace Sells - Wake up Dead, Peace Sells
So Far, So Good, So What! - In My Darkest Hour (put on repeat)
Rust in Peace - Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls
Countdown to Extinction - Symphony of Destruction, This Was My Life, Sweating Bullets, Countdown to Extinction, Foreclosure of a Dream
Youthanasia - The Killing Road, Blood of Heroes, I Thought I Knew it All, Family Tree
Cryptic Writings - Trust, Use the Man
Risk, The World Needs a Hero - Pass
The System has Failed - Kick the Chair, Die Dead Enough, Tears in a Vial, The Scorpion, Of Mice and Men, Back in the Day
United Abominations, Endgame, Thirteen, Supercollider - Pass
Dystopia - Dystopia, Post American World

There are three albums that totally rule for me when it comes to this type of music

Metallica. Master of Puppets

Megadeth. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying

Slayer. Reign In Blood

Those are my three favorite metal albums from the 80's. I can't just listen to one song on any of these albums. I put it on. They play through.

All three were like a kick in the ass.

Rust in peace and and justice for all. I seen megadeth on the rust tour and corrosion of conformity blew them away live. Dave's voice was terrible. Great lp though and so is countdown

Rust in peace and and justice for all. I seen megadeth on the rust tour and corrosion of conformity blew them away live. Dave's voice was terrible. Great lp though and so is countdown

Agree totally.

I saw megadeth on the Yourhanasia tour, strangely enough, also with corrosion of conformity opening.

I'll be seeing Metallica in August for the first time, finally.

My two faves.

Countdown to Extinction - Megadeth

Master of Puppets - Metallica

I seen Metallica once in 93 with danzig and suicidal tendencies and it was bad ass! Danzig at that point was on point also

It's really too bad that Dave was allowed to do the remaster of Rust in Peace. Also that he seems almost impossible to work with consistently.

I have searched for many years to find a band that had that "metallica" sound. I really love metal but hate the common shrieking/screaming singers that you can not understand. I tried to get into Megadeth but Dave's voice just irritates me. I do love the Countdown to Extinction album though. Symphony of Destruction intro is amazing. The band that comes close to Metallica sound wise is Testament. I only recently started listening and it is eerie how similar they sound. Of course this is only my opinion.

Definitely a fan of Dave Mustaine he is an intellectual and has some interesting things to say to those that will listen.... Here's some of his music in an interview he's done many of them over the last 10 years on this show

Back
Top Bottom