Only one track dead or almost dead on my AKAI GX-280DSS

theDfactor

I have two Akai GX-280DSS R2R and one has track 3 that just barely works on either play or record. Every other function works great. The interior of the deck is very clean and dust free. The heads have been cleaned and are pristine.
The second GX-280DSS has the exact same problem that just went bad on track 2. Again, every other function works perfectly except for the extremely low play/record level on the track 2 function. This deck looks like a brand new machine on the inside.
I've cleaned the 2/4 track/channel switch numerous times on both decks without any change on either machine. I cannot see that the 2/4 track switch operates a relay...
Anybody with some ideas for a fix...? Something tells me this is a common problem with the 280DSS decks.
The graphics on the copy of the service manual I have are not very clear, so it is difficult to do any in-depth trouble-shooting.
Thanks

On the front panel switch board is a relay RL1. Remove the relay and clean the contacts with a burnishing tool or super fine sandpaper.

Back
Top Bottom