Integra reliability issues.

the skipper

Professional Curmudgeon
I understand that Integra receivers have, in the past, had reliability issues, particularly with the HDMI boards.

do they still suffer that malady or have they improved?

Supposedly taken care of some time back. They initially dragged their feet, then finally admitted there was a problem and repaired them under warranty. Haven't heard anything bad lately.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Thanks. I've narrowed down the field pretty much and this one seems to fit the bill. ..features I need and a price I can afford.

I just hope I can get 14 years outta this one like I did with my Denon 2802.

Which one are you getting?

I have had a DTR 7.1 for several years and no issues at all.

I understand that Integra receivers have, in the past, had reliability issues, particularly with the HDMI boards.
do they still suffer that malady or have they improved?

I have an Integra 9.8 Preamp/processor, (not a receiver) bought used via AudioGon on 3/25/11 - works great, feeding external amps of my own choosing in 7.1 mode.
Works flawlessly ... no complaints.
( I had a harman kardon AVR-7300 high end receiver before and when a processor chip died, the whole think was high-priced junk.)
After that, I prefer/recommend discrete amps, much as we do with component hifi.
Personal prefs, I understand ...

I have an Integra 9.8 Preamp/processor, (not a receiver) bought used via AudioGon on 3/25/11 -
works great, feeding external amps of my own choosing in 7.1 mode.
Works flawlessly ... no complaints.
Well, that's good to hear. :)

I had an Onkyo repaired, that had HDMI issues, under the extended warranty. It worked fine after. But, it still made me nervous, so I sold it while it was fully functional, and bought a Yamaha Aventage unit. That's been great, and sounds great, with it's ESS Sabre DAC's.

(Edit)

Oh yea, one reason that I bought my RX-A3030, was at the time, it was Yamaha's TOTL A/V receiver. So, the Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp processor was based on the 3030. The 5000 retailed for 50% more than the cost of the 3030. I picked up the 3030 at Accessories4Less for 1/3 retail of a 3030. CX-A5000 sound quality at a bargain price. :)

One thing I'll have to do, is test DSD HDMI decoding over the 3030. I'm not sure if it supports that or not? I know it'll do PCM, just not sure about native DSD.

Last edited:
I purchased an Onkyo TX-SR806 about 9 years ago. They are legendary for the HDMI board failing. My unit is still going strong. Shortly after the purchase, I became aware that many people were reporting HDMI related issues. This prompted me to source some temperature controlled cooling fans. The fans sit on top of the unit and automatically switch on as needed. Heat is the enemy of electronics. I attribute the fact that my AVR is still working properly directly to the additional cooling.

Watch out for there DTS Chips.... You will get the No Sound Issue and then you will have to reflow the chip.

I have no/zero reliability issues with keeping my Integra DHC 40.2 AV preamp cool by not choosing the power amp receiver heat cooking version after nearly 6 years of weekly service..
Heat is always the enemy folks !!
If you can, place your speaker power outside your A/V surround processor !!

It may not be cheap to do so, but the returns will pay handsomely in the long run, IMHE !!

As always, just my $.02 worth !!

Enjoy as you choose/can folks, OKB

I have no/zero reliability issues with keeping my Integra DHC 40.2 AV preamp cool by not choosing the power amp receiver heat cooking version after nearly 6 years of weekly service..
Heat is always the enemy folks !!
If you can, place your speaker power outside your A/V surround processor !!

It may not be cheap to do so, but the returns will pay handsomely in the long run, IMHE !!

As always, just my $.02 worth !!

Enjoy as you choose/can folks, OKB
You are 100% correct, heat kills audio equipment much faster, by keeping it cool it prolongs the life by a large degree.

Audiofreak71

You are 100% correct, heat kills audio equipment much faster, by keeping it cool it prolongs the life by a large degree.

Audiofreak71
Thank you Sir. Mr. Audiofreak, It does indeed !!

I`m, by nature, lazy, and despise having to repair/work on my gear needlessly, so I always look, initially(It`s a living my whole 63 years in FL. thing) at thermal considerations in all electronic systems, other`s & my own, (Call it metaphorically speaking) preventive/preemptive maintenance, if you will !!)

I have been brought quite a few piece`s of cooked(ok, for you "PC types": "thermally stressed electronics") gear for service over my 40 plus years of servicing electronic equipment that were stuffed in a closed up A/V cabinet/closet, `cause out of sight, is out of visuals, and pleases somebody`s sense of esthetics, usually of a child bearing gender !!

Second time brought to me, past 90 days warranty, after strongly cautioning, : I told them "nope, I not going to touch it !!"

Back
Top Bottom