Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

I want to nominate my Altecs 9440. in 1975 this 56lb back-breaking amplifier sold just for under $4,000 in today's dollars that's right around $18,000. So if you Run 2 like I do in mono,IMG_20170621_172641.jpg well you do the math anyway when you turn these on if you don't upset the neighbors then you don't have neighbors

I want to nominate my Altecs 9440. in 1975 this 56lb back-breaking amplifier sold just for under $4,000 in today's dollars that's right around $18,000. So if you Run 2 like I do in mono,View attachment 954495 well you do the math anyway when you turn these on if you don't upset the neighbors then you don't have neighbors
Awesome my friend! How many watts bridged?

Crown Reel to Reel , SX series - not mine, photo borrowed from fellow AK'er "70salesguy"

Seriously, does it get any better?

Does it get any better? Well that depends. '70' has a few Crown machines and this was one of his favorites. I talked to him before buying an SX-724, the above being and SX-8-hundred series machine with the more sophisticated transport. How does it get better than that SX-8..?

Well for better sound quality, more tape use, the SX-822, the 2-track machine, I can't recall whether the machine pictured is a 2Tr or 4Tr machine, but it is stereo.

For MORE, the is the SX-844, a 4 channel machine.
Then there is the option of going to the CX electronics, offering bass, treble and plug in cards which allow a number of different input options including phono. One of the cards is a phono equalized low level (for a MM level) cartridge input.

Since he and I discussed the differences in the electronics back then he preferred the SX for the hard wired. He changed his mind when he finally added the CX electronics to his fleet of machines. We talked about how all the iterations of CX/SX/700/800 sounded the same when using the same amount of tape for a recording (higher speeds and wider sound tracks provide benefits and cost more tape) and after listening to my SX-724 after a recap and A Chuck Ziska tune-up, I'm really happy with the sound.

Interesting, '70' now has a CX-844 as his avatar on tapeheads, under the screen name of El Monte Slim.

So seriously, does it get any better than that SX-8.., hard to say in the Crown line up. Great machines built Missionary Tough to handle the rigors of world travel and field service.

Here is his thread about his CX-822 with pictures: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=25404

Here is his thread about his CX-844 with pictures: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=33771

I got to see and hear a pair of those in person a few years back at a CES show, they sound really, really nice.
Cool! The devices are essentially unobtainium, but I thought it was neat to see a modern implementation using them.

Harmon Kardon 330b! What is it about this little amp?

Really, Top Performer?

Well yes, for many it is as they don't need anything more than that. What is it about this little amp?...you have to ask? It is sound quality. The unit has a solid reputation of great sound. But you know that. Can't be on AK for a decade without tripping over a dozen threads about that unit whether you have one or not.

Does it get any better? Well that depends. '70' has a few Crown machines and this was one of his favorites. I talked to him before buying an SX-724, the above being and SX-8-hundred series machine with the more sophisticated transport. How does it get better than that SX-8..?

Well for better sound quality, more tape use, the SX-822, the 2-track machine, I can't recall whether the machine pictured is a 2Tr or 4Tr machine, but it is stereo.

For MORE, the is the SX-844, a 4 channel machine.
Then there is the option of going to the CX electronics, offering bass, treble and plug in cards which allow a number of different input options including phono. One of the cards is a phono equalized low level (for a MM level) cartridge input.

Since he and I discussed the differences in the electronics back then he preferred the SX for the hard wired. He changed his mind when he finally added the CX electronics to his fleet of machines. We talked about how all the iterations of CX/SX/700/800 sounded the same when using the same amount of tape for a recording (higher speeds and wider sound tracks provide benefits and cost more tape) and after listening to my SX-724 after a recap and A Chuck Ziska tune-up, I'm really happy with the sound.

Interesting, '70' now has a CX-844 as his avatar on tapeheads, under the screen name of El Monte Slim.

So seriously, does it get any better than that SX-8.., hard to say in the Crown line up. Great machines built Missionary Tough to handle the rigors of world travel and field service.

Here is his thread about his CX-822 with pictures: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=25404

Here is his thread about his CX-844 with pictures: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=33771

Had one back in the 70s. It was everything discussed. I used it for live recordings and demo tape generation for local bands. There's _nothing_ more solid than the "thock" sound when you pressed the Play or Record buttons and the pinch roller engaged. Absolutely the best tape deck ever made, IMHO.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom