If you could mix one Pioneer tuner with an SA-400 which one would you choose?

Roumelio

Seeing as its next to impossible to find the matching valve tuner I'm a little bit befuddled as to which tuner to choose now. There is any manner of common things like the TX-5500 but I don't really know at this point. Even the price of them is going up, but seeing as I found the matching Pioneer SCS-12 speakers I'd like to at least try to match the receiver with a pioneer tuner.

I have seen one TX-400 for sale in the last year however. By the time they got to the TX-500 it was a wooden case thing with a solid state tuner. The wood case looks out of place next to the TX-400 and the knobs aren't the right type anyhow.

Last edited:
Matching looks and getting a max performing tuner are not necessarily the same.
It depends if you want to just listen to local FM stations or have some distant ones that are your favourites.
You can check out fmtunerinfo.com for reviews of many of them.

I have a QX-9900 quad receiver, its tuner works very well, very sensitive and selective, it is very close in design and performance to a TX-800.

To be clear I am looking for a tuner not a receiver. To be honest I'm looking at a Dynaco Dyna Tuner FM-3. It has the same simple styling as the Pioneer TX-400 but its easier to find.

In an ideal world for OCD factors I would find a TX-400 but they're rare as rocking horse poo, the Dynaco FM-3 looks like it would be a suitable match and is much easier to find. I have my eye on one, I would just have to have it rewired for 240volt. That's easy enough, considering they're a kit amp, it has all the instructions for rewiring the output transformer to 240volt/60hz. Then its just a matter of getting a new fuse.

I was suggesting a TX-800 to go along with your SA-400, same relative era and make. compared the TX-800 performance it against my QX-9900, which is of similar design. Good luck with your search for a good match.

Back
Top Bottom