McIntosh MX 110 $1800?

If you can claim that you've seen a number over the years, then I can claim I've never seen that over the years. But there is an easier way out, count how many unique users in the thread that suggest it can can sold for over $2K.

And the answer is probably 40:60

Never say never because you will almost always be wrong: I have seen a number over the years that have done exactly that.

NOS for $2K or anything close is pure fantasy. Period.

The effect of condition upon value cannot be overemphasized - this is indisputable. While the MX110 is not a particularly rare unit, examples in 9/10 condition are decidedly rare, "hot" and "wanted". Conversely, most any unit ruined beyond redemption is going to be of very limited regardless of what it is or how rare it may be.

I know for a fact that A/C has no trouble getting $2,500 - $3,000 for top quality examples of MX110 and this will be no exception. Trust me, I know what I am talking about.

If you can claim that you've seen a number over the years, then I can claim I've never seen that over the years. But there is an easier way out, count how many unique users in the thread that suggest it can can sold for over $2K.

And the answer is probably...

To put it bluntly - 90% of MX110 on the auction site are junk. Period.

Took me three years before I found in the condition I wanted. It is in the top 1 - 5 percent. Different ballgame, different $$$.

Either you understand this or you do not.

And let me know where you find them NOS for $2K or thereabouts. I'll buy every one I can find.

Personally, I don't get all the fuss with the MX110. I've had a dozen of them over the years (mostly Z units) so I understand its appeal. For the kind of money they sell for, you can buy a lot more Mc preamp.

BITD, I remember Steve Rowell telling me, "the MX110 just isn't there yet. 20 years from now they may be selling for $2 - $3k but not today." That was like 93 or 94.

IMHO the reason is the quantity in existence and little to do with much else, sonics or otherwise.

Same thing with the MC240, the best selling tube stereo amplifier by far of the trio.

Back in the day, the market decided these these two models gave the best value for the dollar beyond that of competing offerings by McIntosh.

Just as they are, I submit is the population figures of the C22 & MX110 transposed, the values of the two would be very different than they are today.

If there had been only 1 or 2 MX110 (prototypes) , we'd be talking a mega-dollar collectible.

Face the reality or keep dreaming then, Just like the 2K sellers.

Everytime when I see someone saying I'll buy every one..... Or trying to enforce an argument by using a Period.

I will just laugh.

To put it bluntly - 90% of MX110 on the auction site are junk. Period.

Took me three years before I found in the condition I wanted. It is in the top 1 - 5 percent. Different ballgame, different $$$.

Either you understand this or you do not.

And let me know where you find them NOS for $2K or thereabouts. I'll buy every one I can find.

Face the reality or keep dreaming then, Just like the 2K sellers.

Everytime when I see someone saying I'll buy every one..... Or trying to enforce an argument by using a Period.

I will just laugh.

Just let me know how that $2K NOS thingy works out which is the biggest laugh at all. Good luck finding just one - at any price.

Dreaming indeed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And your Audio Classics $2999 MX110 has been there for years, who was dreaming? Unfortunately another hidden bump of that MX110 failed again. Sadly, no bonus this quarter.

Just let me know how that $2K NOS thingy works out which is the biggest laugh at all. Good luck finding just one - at any price.

Dreaming indeed. :rolleyes:

AC is for the "more money than sense" crowd. Tired of re-writing what comes next so I'll just leave it at that...

And you know what they say about arguing on the internet guys...

And your Audio Classics $2999 MX110 has been there for years, who was dreaming? Unfortunately another hidden bump of that MX110 failed again. Sadly, no bonus this quarter.

Your suppositions & assumptions have failed you: The unit you saw for sale years ago was sold years ago. I saw it. The MX110 currently shown was listed only recently.

Also, Tom Manley's site currently shows three MX110s, 2 of which are on hold for $2,750 and $2,400 in "near mint" and "good" condition respectively.

I suggest you stop basing your market evaluations on what you see on eBay, the vast majority of which are in need of electronic restoration, the average condition of which is marginal; the data is therefore of limited informational value.

Either you do not appreciate the impact of condition (both cosmetic & operating) upon value or woefully underestimate it. I suspect you've never purchased the unit in question in the open market within the last 5 years or so - if ever, let alone understand the costs entailed in a full professional refurbishment, as opposed to patching one up just to make it temporarily functional.

There's no substitute for direct experience and based on the simplicity & single-mindedness of your comments, it's obvious yours is limited concerning the topic at hand.

AC is for the "more money than sense" crowd.
And you know what they say about arguing on the internet guys...

You know what they say about opinions too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Your suppositions & assumptions have failed you: The unit you saw for sale years ago was sold years ago. I saw it. The MX110 currently shown was listed only recently.

Also, Tom Manley's site currently shows three MX110s, 2 of which are on hold for $2,750 and $2,400 in "near mint" and "good" condition respectively.

I suggest you stop basing your market evaluations on what you see on eBay, the vast majority of which are in need of electronic restoration, the average condition of which is marginal; the data is therefore of limited informational value.

Either you do not appreciate the impact of condition (both cosmetic & operating) upon value or woefully underestimate it. I suspect you've never purchased the unit in question in the open market within the last 5 years or so - if ever, let alone understand the costs entailed in a full professional refurbishment, as opposed to patching one up just to make it temporarily functional.

There's no substitute for direct experience and based on the simplicity & single-mindedness of your comments, it's obviously yours is limited concerning the topic at hand.

You know what they say about opinions too. :rolleyes:
caddy is well versed in the current market value of the MX110 and the information he has provided spot on. I stick to what I've said earlier but the market is the market.

Is it fair game to interject a question about where an MX110 "X" falls in the hierarchy of perceived value in the MX110 value? If you all would prefer, I'll be glad to start a new thread. Thanks!

Personally, I don't get all the fuss with the MX110. I've

My sediment exactly. I have a Z model that works well. I occasionally put it in rotation with my MC 225 but I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's just another preamp tuner combination that IMO gets way more respect then it deserves. Doesn't even have AM.
:lurk:

Last edited:
The Market price is determined by the buyer. Rarity is more important than so called "pristine " or "mint" or reputable. There is no "rarely" but more like "never". Seller can ask for as much as they want, but MX110 is not rare and is not a hot wanted item. There is still a long way to go until it tops $2K unless it is a true NOS.

Market price is determined by buyers, not a buyer and certainly not by a single internet pundit. Let's look at this from a seller standpoint. I would be willing to bet this same internet pundit would want the $2k rather the pigeon hole value he is pushing for. Funny how that works.

My sediment exactly. I have a Z model that works well. I occasionally put it in rotation with my MC 225 but I really don't know what all the fuss is about. It's just another preamp tuner combination that IMO gets way more respect then it deserves. Doesn't even have AM.
:lurk:

I'll assume that AM crack is a joke.

Partly I think it's because Steve Hoffman gave his a rave review a few years back. The same thing happened when he popped off on Fisher tube receivers several years before that. Word gets out. That said, I'm really enjoying the my 110. Yes, the same one that caused me to start this thread back in March. I got it. It's in excellent shape, and it sounds wonderful. Traded my Mac 1700 receiver, and some dough. He had brought the price down to $1500, and we met somewhere in the middle. I liked the 1700 a lot, but I knew with 2 amps in the house it wasn't going to get a lot of use.

Alternating the 110 with an Audio Classics Mac MC250, and a pair of Dynaco MKIII's(preferring the MKIII's presently). Tuner is working beautifully as well, pulling in all area stations without issue. The price was right so I took a chance. At some point I may have it gone through professionally by a local tech, but I doubt I'll be shipping it to the East Coast to AC or Terry. Too far, too expensive. I'll live with it, and enjoy it as is, and go from there.

I just find it difficult to believe anybody would consider it when buying an expensive tube preamp. Whatever floats your boat.
It's just more radio stations to listen too. You may think AM with a preamp is low class and that does not conside with McIntosh. They have offered several tuners that include AM and FM. I guess their engineers forgot to include AM in the MX110. Would have been a nice touch.

Class has nothing to do with it. Fidelity is what I'm talking about. AM is not produced with high fidelity in mind. Probably not a priority with most folks who buy expensive hi fi gear, but it's not big deal. If not having AM on a tuner/preamp is a deal breaker for you so be it. Makes no difference to me.

You may think AM with a preamp is low class and that does not conside with McIntosh. I guess their engineers forgot to include AM in the MX110.

McIntosh having evidently felt the majority of its customers were either not interested in AM listening, or had alternative equipment for doing so and therefore could pass the savings on rather then forcing them to purchase capability that would rarely be used.

It was simply a business decision, nothing more, nothing less.

Most McIntosh standalone tuners were FM only for the same reason.

McIntosh having evidently felt the majority of its customers were either not interested in AM listening, or had alternative equipment for doing so and therefore could pass the savings on rather then forcing them to purchase capability that would rarely be used.

It was simply a business decision, nothing more, nothing less.

Most McIntosh standalone tuners were FM only for the same reason.
Even McIntosh can make mistakes. Imagine that!

Even McIntosh can make mistakes. Imagine that!

The only "mistake" would have been if more would have been sold with AM at the higher price - and that would also assume the profit margin per unit was no less than it had been - after factoring in the extra developmental costs associated with the AM section as well.

This side of a time machine, it is impossible to assert this is indeed how it would have played out.

At any rate, total MX110 production of ~ 27,500 for a tuner preamplifier that sold for $499 from 1960 - 1969 would seem to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom