That didn't go well. $90 poof!

rxonmymind

Sold the Pioneer HPM to a gent down south in L.A. Went about getting packing materials which totaled $90. I even found some nice 3" thick 18"square soft pink foam at a good deal. $40. All was set.
First that blue self sticky furniture foam is expensive running $23 a roll! But it saves speakers from rubbing so I'm OK with it
Then the big green bubble wrap. So far so good. Got 34x24x24 wardrobe box($12 each) put two layers of that 3" foam on the bottom. Then also double layered all four sides with another around the inside "rim" where the foam didn't quite reach the last 6". So all around it was a true 24" double layered foam top to bottom and side to side. That speaker was NOT moving and was snug and protected. I was thoroughly confident in it's soft 6" protection. Went taping things up across the seam, along the top sides and even down the sides of the boxes for extra measure.

Picked it up to weighed it which came out to 73 lbs according to Fed ex would cost $64 each. I thought it was a bit higher than expected but I'll eat it. So I gently set it down.....riiiiiip right down one of the seams. Arghhhhhhh!
I'm TOTALLY bummed. I looked suspiciously at the other box. I know, I know, a speaker as heavy as the Pioneers needed a heavier duty box but that was what was available out there. I know there at Fed ex they have a true double corrugated box which is heavy duty and they charge $15 a piece and it's seriously stout.
While my intention wasn't to go "cheap" as the difference between the wardrobe & Fed ex was $3 I really wanted the 34" tall for the extra cushion. Unfortunately the wardrobe boxes don't hold up at all even with extra tape along all seams. In hindsight maybe strapping tape.
The only good news to come out of this is it happen here in my living room and not during shipping. Phew.
For the best offer price, eBay fees and this fiasco I'm not able to sell these and break even.
Up to that point I was actually loosing $$. But even then I was ok with a minor loss as long as I knew my work would be enjoyed by someone. I'm bummed. Part of the fun in restoring these is a hope that another finds joy in music again.In all my years of eBay I've NEVER cancelled a sale.
Man, talk about a financial screw up. But like I said it could have been worse and both boxes splitting open during shipment spilling out the speakers from who knows what height.
Now it HAS to be local pickup. I hate failing.
Sorry for the rant just bummed.
Had any plans fail?

Last edited:
Fedex had a considerable bump in prices at the turn of the year. Dimensions now place a bigger roll in the cost. As an example, two years ago I sent my G-8000 to CDFixer in California from Florida. The cost was $71. This spring I sent my Big Onkyo to blhagstrom in the Northwest in the same box and it cost me $155. the weights were similar. He sent it back to me in a single, not double box, with a smaller size for $75. Size matters.

FWIW.

On big speakers, I get styrofoam coolers that they ship frozen fish to sushi shops in.

I use a hot wire to cut them down so the pieces fit around the speaker corners and most of the case.

It's a trick to protect the grills but I've managed to get the corner parts the mate up with a front cover well so the grill is not under pressure.

I strap tape the styrofoam together around the speaker, then roll the whole thing in cardboard and tape that up.

That hard styrofoam can take a hit and keep things solid and protected.

The cardboard is just a skin to wrap the bundle.

If I couldn't get the coolers. I'd get the hard insulation foam panels at DIY places (Lowes, Home Depot) and cut panels to fit the speaker.
Tape that together and roll that up in cardboard. 2 inches thick is enough.

You can make the cardboard skin as many layers as you want.

Use big ass appliance boxes or other huge cardboard for a sheet. Open it up flat, roll up the packaged speaker in the cardboard. Tape the roll to hold it and work on folding the ends in. Cut the corners and fold in the flaps.

I just Craigslist all my big stuff. So much easier, no shipping hassle and no worries about it not working when they get it.

Sorry to hear of your travails.

Another place to get firm styro sheets (and bubble wrap as well for that matter) is furniture stores. So much comes from overseas now, they throw out gobs of it.

I have done the same thing blh described - make a box from one or more others and pack the thing in styro with the box fitting tight around it. Sometimes you can get dense foam 'corner braces' from furniture or appliance places.

d47a2eee88ce7fafe43d1fa0b01ac528_f511.jpg

Back
Top Bottom