Speakers Around $1500 / Alternatives to the KEF LS50

Ascend has designed the speaker to be placed easily, and even have some custom plugs if they are to be right on a wall or in a bookshelf. Mine are about 15 inches off the back wall on stands. No issues with that. They just sound so right, I don't usually gush. They aren't cheap, though.

I'm considering B-stock Sierra-1 too, I hope it's not much difference?:D

But then, I dun like too many "upgrade" options floating on the Ascend Web site, kinda distracted to me:sigh:

Yeah, they have a lot of options and upgrades, I puzzled over it and finally decided I better get the best bookshelf model they had so it would be a clear upgrade over what they were replacing. It turns out I probably would have been fine with the Sierra-1, because the 2's creamed my Paradigm monitors in the theater system. But I always would have wondered had I just got the 1's. I'm obsessive that way!

I recently went speaker shopping with a friend and I really liked the Revel F12.

Never heard a Revel I liked. IMO they are polk audio marked up to high end for those using only wallet as criteria. Just an opinion about the product, not you.

Bowers & Wilkins CM5's and Polk LSiM 703's

Both of these speakers were rated "Class B" by Stereophile and while they have similar specs they are voiced very differently. I've been meaning to post a detailed comparison of these two speakers (with several pictures) in a separate thread but I haven't had time.

Still have my pair of CM5. The first run not the newest model , S2

Have really enjoyed them. At the time they were similarly compared to LS50 but with more bass (for good or worse)

Still have my pair of CM5. The first run not the newest model , S2

Have really enjoyed them. At the time they were similarly compared to LS50 but with more bass (for good or worse)

Wow old thread, that's my dad. He still has CM5's in his office. He replaced the LSiM's in the other room with Bowers & Wilkins 805D's.

I would like to (sort of) revive this thread and solicit some current input as this thread died off in 2017. I have read hundreds of pages about speakers in a small room with many many recommendations - and, the information is several years old.
First, a little about my environment.
1. My room is 12 x 12.
2. My current LS50s are 7' apart and about 7' from my listening position.
3. I rotate 4 amp sources - Fisher X-101ST(tube), Fisher X-200(tube), Fisher 800C(tube),and a MAC4100(ss). All of these amps easily drive the LS50s to my desired listening level (60-70db)
4. The orig OP set a $ limit at $1500 - I am raising that to $2500.
5. I have a short list of speakers I am considering - some can be be purchased new, and some only in the secondary market.
A. Harbeth P3ESR
B. Nola Boxer 3
C. Dynaudio Excite X14
D. ProAc Tablette
E. Grant Fidelity RBS-1
So, one question might be - what don't I like about the LS50s. Well, nothing really, it's just sometimes the music comes across as very sterile if that makes sense. Also, at times the treble is a little too piercing for my taste. I know, I'm terrible at describing what I hear.
I just wanted to get some current opinions - Is my short list still valid? Are there others that I should consider(If it was mentioned in this thread up to the 2017 time period, then I've already looked at it -- if however something new has come on the scene since 2017 that I should consider - I'm interested)

Thanks for any and all opinions

I've owned a lot of the speakers on your list and I prefer the Harbeth P3ESR. Tonally correct and that is by far the most important thing for me.

I auditioned the Boxer and I thought it was a fine speaker. Lots of low end and in fact I found the lower mids and upper bass to be a bit bloated. Still, a nice speaker. Relative to tone the Harbeth is much better to my ears.

I would suggest you consider moving up to the Dynaudio Evoke 20. They should have much of the experience of the Special 40 but within your stated budget. I would think they would do nicely in your room. (I wonder if the Harbeths would do well in your room.)

Also, if you need stands, I like my Pangea DS 400 stands.

With both, you would be right at your budget mark.

My one concern would be that your amps might not have the power to drive the Dynaudios. (If you are happy with the power in driving the KEFs, you are probably fine.)

I appreciate that - I will be able to audition the Harbeths locally, but not the Boxer, so I appreciate your take on that. I will have to see if I can audition the Dynaudios locally.
I have those same stands they are 24" - I like them with the LS50s

Back
Top Bottom