Kindel Purist Speakers...?

PapaVerde

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So, I got home and these were in my trunk. I don't know what happened. I don't know much about them. But, I thought I'd share since they might be kind of rare (to me they are). Dusty and all, I present to you Kindel Purists.

First impressions:
Well built
Heavy
Narrow
Look like classic 80's audiophile stuff
Cool bass driver at the bottom
High end control in the back
Made in California

How do they sound? We shall find out soon enough...in the meantime here's some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4880.JPG
    IMG_4880.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4882.JPG
    IMG_4882.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4883.JPG
    IMG_4883.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4884.JPG
    IMG_4884.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Definitely looks like a passive radiator at the bottom, bit they look like they're well built and in great shape.

Maybe more recent that 80's. And that bottom "driver" might be a passive radiator. Just guesses.

I like the look, especially with the grills on.

Also, Kindel, per thread title, not Kandel per first post.

Yep, autocorrect as it kept changing it to Kindle. I think it looks like a passive radiator too, I'll unscrew later to make sure.

Why does it look like a passive ? just wondering because to me it looks just like the other one
Each speaker has two woofers with the tweeter in between and what looks to be a passive radiator on the very bottom front of the cabinet.

Each speaker has two woofers with the tweeter in between and what looks to be a passive radiator on the very bottom front of the cabinet.

I have seen sub-woofers that look like that too. Plus it seems kinda strange to have one passive with two woofers of the same size.
Shouldn't a passive have at minimum the combined surface area of both woofers?:dunno:

worked on the Kindel Phantom. They had a very complex crossover - a nightmare of bypassed and staked caps to crossover purists. Pics available of the XO and speaker. PM me if any interest. The one I worked on has a very different HF section than the one linked to in a previous thread. A top mounted block containing a dome and ribbon tweeter and two side panels with convoluted thick foam.

Hey Roy,

You're a busy guy. Feels good to go hunting and bring home your prey, I would have done the same. I'm interested to know how they test and more specifically, I'd like to see what the crossovers look like.

Biggles

Ok, I have crossover pictures...and it's a passive radiator.

Looks like a clean layout for the crossover. The bass is deep and natural. Twenty minutes in they sound surprisingly good. Everything is there, really, their imaging is excellent with a good to very good amount of detail. Very respectable separation. Pretty open sounding speakers, impressive for a thin box. They got a little magic.

Now, they are being fed by a Primaluna Prologue Premium with all Gold Lion tubes (KT88's and 12au7's) and a Chrome Audio through the DAC of an Oppo 105D, so they're being nicely fed. They won't be replacing my Sonus Faber (WAF is a real thing--and they sound amazing). I'm pretty sure they could do some damage in a living room for sure, I tried them in the bedroom and they would have been even better with more space to image out.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.JPG
    IMG_5080.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5083.JPG
    IMG_5083.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5084.JPG
    IMG_5084.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hey Roy,

You're a busy guy. Feels good to go hunting and bring home your prey, I would have done the same. I'm interested to know how they test and more specifically, I'd like to see what the crossovers look like.

Biggles

You're more than welcome to swing by for a listen, bro.

:rflmao:LOL!:rflmao:
I've told my wife that...

Yes, my wife is much too gracious with my speaker adventures.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. We'll have to get together soon, I haven't been in a while!

Biggles

I see a lot of coils and also T, M, and W connections on the crossover. So, is it a 3-way, plus PR, with one of the two 6.5" drivers being a mid?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom