Today's JAZZ playlist

As you know, Pops, Herman was the reason I got into Jazz, hearing his "Giant Steps" album in a high school music theory class. My opinion is that Herman is often overlooked by many, and that's a shame. When I stream Jazz stations from around the world, I rarely if ever hear Woody. Glen Woodcock's "Big Band Jazz Show" from CJRT Toronto is the exception. Glen plays his fair share of Herman. I told Glen (via email) that the Herman Album "Giant Steps" got me into Jazz and he devoted his "Vinyl Corner" to that album for me and mentioned me on the air. Blew me away. What a class guy. He's been doing that show since 1977.

I

Oh wow. I should look for that in the archive...

Oh wow. I should look for that in the archive...

There is an archive of Glen's "Big Band Jazz" show? I had no idea. Glen let me know in advance that he was going to highlight that album and mention me on the air about a week before it aired, I had my TuneIn App recorder set, but something happened to my internet (Murphy's Law) and I missed the recording. I'd LOVE to get a copy. I'll have to research and see when that aired. My best recollection was two years ago this summer. So search in Summer(ish) of 2015(ish) for Glen showcasing Woody Herman's "Giant Steps" on the Vinyl Corner portion of his show. If you find it PLEASE let me know! I really want a copy. I never even thought there'd be an archive. Never asked Glen about it.

More news in a PM.

Ron Carter - Blues Farm

51VpO-cRZwL._SS500.jpg

I think my CD player is going. It took five attempts before it read the disc. Had a similar issue with an older player that did this so my days may be numbered. There goes my turntable upgrade for now. :(
Anyways here we go.
ng05cmD.jpg

Sorry to hear about the CD player going. Mine's also showing signs, and I'm torn between replacing it or--since I rip all my CDs to AAC or AIFF files--using an older laptop with a built in CD drive as my digital source.

Anyway, how is that CD? I like that band and Jones's compositions, and if I ever get some free time to spend in New York I hope to catch the current incarnation. But as I played a lot of those charts during a rather "dynamic" period in life, some of the memories that emerge when listening to them aren't the greatest.

2957778029.jpg

Got a copy of this today and am listening to it right now. Really nice album. I love Teddy Wilson on Verve. This is actually Wilson with three different groups. Side B is a reissue of the 10" LP "Soft Moods" with Arvell Shaw on bass, and J.C. Heard on drums. That entire album, and again Side B of this LP is comprised of the tunes: "Nice Work If You Can Get It", "Airmail Special", "Night And Day", "Cheek To Cheek", East Of The Sun", "Autumn In New York", "Isn't It Romantic, and Wilson playing solo piano on "You Go To My Head".

Side A starts out with Wilson playing with John Simmons on bass and Buddy Rich on drums. The tunes with that group are "The One I Love", "Darn That Dream", "Tea For Two", and "Oh Lady Be Good".

Then Teddy is joined by Aaron Bell on bass, and the great Denzil Best on drums. The tunes they play are "Emaline", "Tenderly", "Everything Happens To Me", and "Liza".

This info is not provided on the "Intimate Listening" LP, but is courtesy of the JG Research Center! I love to look up information on the net.

Back
Top Bottom