Denon DP 300F Belt Driven Turntable

And I still think it was a great deal at the $329 price that I paid. If you're thinking that a cartridge like the 2M Red can make a huge difference, it might just depend on your tastes. Recent posters Zappafan2 and JustinICT appear to have purchased the DP-300F with the 2M Red already installed, and I haven't seen them comment on whether it's actually an improvement over the stock cartridge. I read an interesting customer review at Amazon by a satisfied customer who ordered the 2M Red only to send it back, hearing no improvement over the stock cartridge (and this from someone experienced in owning higher-end turntables from Michell and Linn). Trying different cartridges is fun, and the Grado, Shure, and Sumiko models I used on mine all performed well (the Sumiko Black Pearl being my favorite), but to my ears the stock cartridge was not embarrassed by any of them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the stock cartridge is good enough. When I first had the TT, my plan was to upgrade the cartridge pretty soon but as time pass, I find that I like what I hear. So why change it. :)

I got my stock Denon TT hooked up today. It's going through the phono stage on my new Yamaha A-S801 and some big old Cerwin-Vega VS-120's. Bob Dylan sounds great through this! Now I have to dig up some more old vinyl.

I still love my Denon too with stock cartridge :)

However, I also have Yggdrasil now and that is one very good turntable. :)

Hey everyone, relatively new here. I mostly lurk around looking for reviews of hardware (that I can understand) and after reading a few pages, it sounds like this is a very well-liked turntable. I've been looking into it as I've only ever bought vintage and have been thoroughly burned or disappointed with what I came across; I figured now would be the best time to give "new" turntables a shot.

My real question is: turntable lab has the dp-300f with the ortofon red upgrade for $270. I probably don't need to ask, but would anyone recommend this table at that price point?

Hey everyone, relatively new here. I mostly lurk around looking for reviews of hardware (that I can understand) and after reading a few pages, it sounds like this is a very well-liked turntable. I've been looking into it as I've only ever bought vintage and have been thoroughly burned or disappointed with what I came across; I figured now would be the best time to give "new" turntables a shot.

My real question is: turntable lab has the dp-300f with the ortofon red upgrade for $270. I probably don't need to ask, but would anyone recommend this table at that price point?

Wow, sounds like a good deal to me. Is it new with a warranty? I bought mine new from Crutchfield last year for $299.00 and it has the stock needle. Even stock it sounds very good to me - I would bet the upgraded turntable lab version would be sweet. It's nice to have an automatic table to just hit "start" and have the needle drop.

As others have probably mentioned there are a few oddities with this table.
1. The RCA cables are hard wired to the table. You aren't going to use any high end fancy-schmancy RCA cables with the table. Didn't matter to me, it still sounds great.
2. There's no separate ground wire. I guess it's grounded through the RCA cables? I don't have any problems with ground on mine, still sounds great to me.

It was super easy to set up and I would buy it again in heartbeat. I had it running through a Chinese tube phone pre amp, and just tonight I switched it back to my Yamaha A-S801 (also new) phono pre, and I think I prefer the Yamaha. YMMV.

Wow, sounds like a good deal to me. Is it new with a warranty? I bought mine new from Crutchfield last year for $299.00 and it has the stock needle. Even stock it sounds very good to me - I would bet the upgraded turntable lab version would be sweet. It's nice to have an automatic table to just hit "start" and have the needle drop.

As others have probably mentioned there are a few oddities with this table.
1. The RCA cables are hard wired to the table. You aren't going to use any high end fancy-schmancy RCA cables with the table. Didn't matter to me, it still sounds great.
2. There's no separate ground wire. I guess it's grounded through the RCA cables? I don't have any problems with ground on mine, still sounds great to me.

It was super easy to set up and I would buy it again in heartbeat. I had it running through a Chinese tube phone pre amp, and just tonight I switched it back to my Yamaha A-S801 (also new) phono pre, and I think I prefer the Yamaha. YMMV.

It's coming from Turntable Labs so I'd -assume- there is some kind of warranty support. But, it's an assumption and I can be wrong.

The RCA cables shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have my pioneer receiver pretty close to the TT set up, and even so, I could buy some extensions for cheap. A little worried about the ground thing though, but only because I've never heard of such a thing. But I'll order it right now after giving it some thought!

It's coming from Turntable Labs so I'd -assume- there is some kind of warranty support. But, it's an assumption and I can be wrong.

The RCA cables shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have my pioneer receiver pretty close to the TT set up, and even so, I could buy some extensions for cheap. A little worried about the ground thing though, but only because I've never heard of such a thing. But I'll order it right now after giving it some thought!

Yea, I wouldn't worry about the ground. Just the way it's built. Thread below on same concern and some people smarter than me responding it's OK.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/denon-dp-300f-no-ground-wire.379732/

Thanks for this thread, you people all convinced me to pick one up, should be arriving tomorrow. Its replacing my Technics SL-D20 which replaced my Technics SL-D2. I'm expecting good things from the Denon!

I will say, I did have minor problems with mine. The left channel cut out after a hot day. Then it came back after being in my car for a couple hot days. Then it cut out again after another hot day. That being said, some deoxit on the switch that selects if it uses the preamp or not seemed to resolve that problem.

As for the ground, yeah, it is grounded to its own chassis in a way that works somehow. They probably did this because if you use the preamp, you are probably using a line in, and the receiver/amp may or may not have a ground for turntables on it.

I am still using mine and I think it is a great value, not really sure how the stock cartridge sounds since I upgraded to the red. I was so pleased with the red I replaced my Shure 97xe on my Technics 1200 with a red and it just sounds really great to my ears. This is really a nice little table for the $$ and it will be going to my son soon who has told me he wants to get into vinyl.

I've used mine a few times. My only problem is after playing a 7" (I cued it up myself) when it went to return, it didn't pick up the arm and scratched its way back to the rest. What the hell?

Thanks for this thread, you people all convinced me to pick one up, should be arriving tomorrow. Its replacing my Technics SL-D20 which replaced my Technics SL-D2. I'm expecting good things from the Denon!

I signed up here just to comment on this. I have a Technics SL-D30 with an AT SLT88E cartridge and ever since I saw the TTL deal, I couldn't sleep. Finally pulled the trigger today.

You probably have had the Denon, how has it been?

Back
Top Bottom