Teac A-4010 SL Project

theoman

Confused Member
Subscriber
Well I just found a complete reel to reel package with remote and mic's.
I don't think the unit was used just keep in storage with the boxing rotting.
Notice the blue cover on the roller.IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6618.JPG IMG_6637.JPG IMG_6638.JPG IMG_6639.JPG

Very cool find! I wouldn't be surprised if it saw a minimal amount of use and then got put back in its original box, looks like there were some aftermarket accessories put in with it when it was repacked. Hopefully it's not moldy smelling, I picked one up like that once and I never could get the musty odor completely out of it. Tear it down, clean / lube it and you should be good for another 45 years. Those machines are super reliable and built to last!

IMG_6684.JPG IMG_6685.JPG IMG_6686.JPG IMG_6688.JPG IMG_6689.JPG IMG_6629.JPG cleaned it up a little and no dry grease! but I took it apart but cleaned and lubed. waiting on belt. Also the poster came with it!

I recently got a slightly earlier model of this. Couple of pointers. Besides the belt needing obvious replacement, check to make sure the capstan pinch roller linkage moves freely. After decades of storage the grease turns into glue more or less and won't allow the roller to move into the play position. Also, check the felt pads for the reel hub brakes, make sure they haven't come loose from the bands they are supposed to be attached to. If they have, you can just re-glue them into place. Finally, check the left side tape guide below the left reel to make sure it also moves freely. Same deal as the pinch roller, grease turns to glue over time.

Last edited:
One more pointer.......I found on mine that the magnet for the "end of tape" shutoff arm was no longer bonded to its mounting bracket. If that magnet is staying on the arm instead of its bracket, the machine really has a hard time shutting off when it comes to the end of the tape like its supposed to. Tape rapidly flapping around is an annoying thing......;)

Back
Top Bottom