Wine, wine, wine.

bobabode

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The fruit of the vine. From California to Bordeaux to Chile to New Zealand to ???
What is tickling your taste buds?

Chateau Bel-Air 2014 Lussac Saint-Emilion
50% Merlot 50% Cabernet Franc
a bargain at ~$25

DSC_0001 (3).JPG A Cabernet at the moment. friend operates a portable bottling truck and passes these on once in a while. Not sure if it's special but, tastes good.

Living in the heart of wine country unless we're traveling anything other than local never finds it's way to the table. Probably a mistake. We should get out of our box more often.

This is one of my favorite "cheap" wines at about $10 per bottle. I've been getting into the red blends for casual drinking the last few years.

2015-EssRed-FrontLabel.jpg

Grabbed this on a quick trip through Costco (picture from Internet, but same vintage). Never had it before so hope it's OK.

732877.jpg

We don't have it much here any more (waaay too much sugar in wine!), but occasionally it'll be something from among the many Michigan wines available now from the Old Mission Peninsula. Favorite Riesling is the Semi-Dry Riesling from Chateau Grand Traverse, or their Late Harvest Riesling for something a little sweeter.

upload_2017-8-22_11-4-40.png

They have a few limited edition wines that are usually available right at the winery, or through mail order. A few of them look very interesting, including a Botrytis Chardonnay dessert wine.

Since coming to France I have become entranced by the wines of the Southwest (Sud-Ouest), particularly (in no particular order:

Cahors
Languedoc
Roussillon
Corbières
Minervois

But a(nother) recent "find" has me equally enthralled: Saint-Chinian, which is made in the Occitanie region in the South (Sud) and which is made using 100% Cabernet Franc or, on occasion, 100% Carignan. Both very dark, dense rouge varieties. This also holds for Minervois (mentioned above). The others mentioned above, while indeed 100% rouge (usually Carignan), are lighter in character and lower re: al'cool content.

^^ The challenge @ France in the narrowing down as the sheer variety of rouge, not to mention the many fine roses (Alsatian Rose is killer stuff) and whites (Riesliing and/or Gewurztraminer Alsace, anyone?) available here. And cheap. Who the hell needs to spend beaucoup -- @ times exorbitant -- amounts of their Euros on the produits du Bordeaux, Bourgogne, or select examples of the Rhone Valley (e.g., Cote Rotie, Hermitage, or Chateauneuf du Pape?)

PS: I save the "large expeditures" for (genuine) cognac, armagnac, and the occasional bottle of poire Williams.

^^ The challenge @ France in the narrowing down as the sheer variety of rouge, not to mention the many fine roses (Alsatian Rose is killer stuff) and whites (Riesliing and/or Gewurztraminer Alsace, anyone?) available here. And cheap. Who the hell needs to spend beaucoup -- @ times exorbitant -- amounts of their Euros on the produits du Bordeaux, Bourgogne, or select examples of the Rhone Valley (e.g., Cote Rotie, Hermitage, or Chateauneuf du Pape?)

I feel your pain :naughty: A month ago returned from a fabulous trip to Bourgogne and Alsace. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

20170609_144122.jpg

I feel your pain :naughty: A month ago returned from a fabulous trip to Bourgogne and Alsace. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 990309

That must have been quite a tour de vins for ya. Yep, start @ Alsace in the north, then head south through Bourgogne and the Rhone Valley and you'll have experienced (a thousand?) swallows of many ofthe finest rose, rouge, et blanc this earth has to offer. But they do get expensive, don' they?

Actually I had it backwards: Bourgogne first and then we headed to Colmar.
And we already were in Provence/Rhone Valley and Louire Valley as well before.

Yeah...they can be quite expensive. In Aloxe-Corton I've seen $3,000 bottles of Grand Cru....Ouch!
But the wine is great!

Actually I had it backwards: Bourgogne first and then we headed to Colmar.
And we already were in Provence/Rhone Valley and Louire Valley as well before.

Yeah...they can be quite expensive. In Aloxe-Corton I've seen $3,000 bottles of Grand Cru....Ouch!
But the wine is great!

Aloxe-Corton is a pretty special area for vins.

Since coming to France I have become entranced by the wines of the Southwest (Sud-Ouest), particularly (in no particular order:

Cahors
Languedoc
Roussillon
Corbières
Minervois

But a(nother) recent "find" has me equally enthralled: Saint-Chinian, which is made in the Occitanie region in the South (Sud) and which is made using 100% Cabernet Franc or, on occasion, 100% Carignan. Both very dark, dense rouge varieties. This also holds for Minervois (mentioned above). The others mentioned above, while indeed 100% rouge (usually Carignan), are lighter in character and lower re: al'cool content.

I must mention one more, an additional recent "new find": Pessac-Leognan.

Pessac-Leognan (nb: the first "e" should be accented) is a rouge of the Bordelais region, so in excellent company, e.g., Margaux, the chief difference being that Margaux is assigned to the Medoc subregion, Pessac-Leognan is assigned to the Graves subregion. really difficult to find even in France, @ least in the Grande Est area (Alsace-Lorraine). But if you find one, grab it, it is spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom