I think I know why I need a DAC, but which one?

ontheroad303

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all -

It seems the DAC is the last part of the puzzle for the new soundsystem. Currently have the following setup:

Pioneer PL-560>Sansui 5000a>Dynaco A25

The final addition to the setup would be the ability to play digital music from the following sources: 40GB+ of downloaded MP3s (can transfer to USB stick), streaming (currently Spotify, might switch to Tidal for SQ), and music stored/streamed on an iPhone (ex.: a friend has his music collection streaming through iSub and I access it for some recorded shows).

Ideally, there's a digital interface we could use for choosing music & sources.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Eric.

Regarding the CCA, I don't use my computer often for streaming, mainly just my phone (assuming I can access all the music apps from my phone thru the DAC). Does the CCA connect directly to the DAC to enable wifi access?

I cast to my CCA from an old Samsung tablet. The CCA works with most android devices but not sure about Apple. For best sound the CCA connects directly to a stand alone DAC via mini optical to standard optical cable. The CCA has an internal DAC and you can access it with a 3.5 mm analog output cable from the same port as the mini optical.

All great information, I'll look into Apple compatibility.

Just poking around my local Craigslist, saw a Teac UD-H01, any thoughts from the DAC experts on that one?

I managed to pick up a demo Dune HD Smart H1. It seems to play any file format I've thrown at it. It appears to give good DAC performance (based on my ears) and it does a lot of other things too. Picked it up for £80. It's a pity they aren't made any more, Dune seem to have split its functions into more than one unit, more profit in selling multiple pieces of equipment, that one do it all box, I guess. The hard drive is in hot swap tray taking it out and connecting it to my laptop for a look, gives the impression it's Linux based.
http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/16

I have a small solid state SMSL DAC that was purchased for about $80 dollars. It really makes a difference as only one of my sources out of 2 is routed through it; the increase in sound quality is palpable,

I have been using the Google CCA with Spotify and have been very impressed with the sound quality. It has pushed back my decision to buy a stand alone DAC for the moment.

The Schiit Modi multi-bit is a popular choice and comes highly recommended from most owners. The Topping D30 I purchased from massdrop should arrive tomorrow so I'm anxious to see how they compare.

The Schiit Modi multi-bit is a popular choice and comes highly recommended from most owners. The Topping D30 I purchased from massdrop should arrive tomorrow so I'm anxious to see how they compare.

Looking forward to your comparison.

Eric

I also look forward to the comparison as I am considering a Schiit as well.

Schiit Multibit. Whichever model. Do not turn it off. I have hardly played my vinyl rig since I upgrad3d my gungnir. Now the tech has gotten cheaper.

The Topping D30 arrived yesterday and first impressions are a bit disappointing. It lacks the gain of both the Audio GD and Schiit Modi MB. That's not a big deal with those of you who run powerful systems but it is for me and my flea watt amps. The D30 is a pleasant sounding DAC but with the brief time I've spent listening to it I can't see it replacing the Schiit as my primary DAC.

The Topping D30 arrived yesterday and first impressions are a bit disappointing. It lacks the gain of both the Audio GD and Schiit Modi MB. That's not a big deal with those of you who run powerful systems but it is for me and my flea watt amps. The D30 is a pleasant sounding DAC but with the brief time I've spent listening to it I can't see it replacing the Schiit as my primary DAC.

Interesting. I run mine with a 2 x 20W Saba 9080 receiver and it is pretty much exactly the same gain wise as a plain CCA.

I have the volume between 1 and 2 (Scale to 10) as my normal listening level.

Wonder why the Schiit is "louder".

Eric

The D30 has a Line Out output level of 2.1Vrms, and the Modi Multibit has 2.0Vrms so ??

Eric

That's probably just the nominal ratings/specs.

If bottoming it out was important enough, one could use a disk or play a file from the same source with, say, a 1kHz mono test tone on it and measure the actual output of each. Maybe load the outputs with 20k resistors (or better, something that approximates the input impedance of whatever the DAC is connected to).

Back
Top Bottom