Help ID Mono Tube Amp: 5Y3, 12AX7, Two 6V6

No clue what it is,but what a very strange location for the filter cap:)

Should have no problem with line-level inputs,and a pair of 6V6's usually sounds quite nice. Somewhere around 8 to 14 watts of output. If you are a guitar player,you've got a nice foundation to play with. Think Fender Deluxe or Princeton.

arts, that was my first thought, crazy place to put a cap, guess they had a reason for it.

BillWojo

These I.d threads are fun but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Mabee with a goodnights sleep I might be able to jog my memory and see if I can come up with something.

It definitely was for use with a turntable , the motor plug receptacle is right next to the power cord .

The tubes are not much of a clue , it doesn't look magnavox , RCA would have had a sticker with their name on it . Does anyone recognize the knobs , they look motorola to me .

Is there a name on the can cap and the 12AX7 ?

I have a Voice of Music amp that runs those tubes and looks almost identical. Mine has been modded a bit though. Yours is probably a VoM too.

Cap can has VM 12011 at the top, which might support the Voice of Music guess. And, I have a habit of pulling tubes before storing "pending projects" so I'm not sure what the original may have been, but I've checked my stock of 12AX7 and there is a VM branded one there. Motor plug receptacle is 120v.

This just spotted on BuyBay auction site:

Up for sale here is this vintage mono Voice of Music tube amplifier, circa 1957. This normally uses 4 tubes, which are NOT included. It uses two 6V6 output tubes, a 12AX7 tube, and one 5Y3GT rectifier.

This has two controls (with knobs) on the front, a power switch and pilot light on the right side, an RCA jack input on the right side, and a set of speaker terminals on the back. The big transformer on the top is the power transformer, and the output transformer is underneath. This measures approximately 3.25" x 9.5" x 2.25" tall. It looks very similar to a Voice of Music 560A amplifier, but that one doesn't have controls, so I don't know if a previous owner added the controls and what-not.

Looked up Voice of Music 560A and came up with this:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/voice-of-music-560a.158896/

That does it, mystery solved, thanks to all!

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 18
Here's a schematic for a VM 560. It was glued to the bottom of an old phonograph. It is mostly readable save for a few rat turds. Looks the same but has a 6X5 rectifier instead of a 5Y3.

Attachments

• DSCN0645.JPG
    DSCN0645.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0647.JPG
    DSCN0647.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0648.JPG
    DSCN0648.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 21
Thanks! I did find a clean schematic. And, I came up with a schematic for a Gibsonette guitar amplifier, 5Y3, 12AX7 and two 6V6.

VM560aClean.jpg

Looks to be an old phono amplifier, but kinda overkill for playing records. Anyone have a guess or a clue?

Thanks.View attachment 1012809 View attachment 1012810 View attachment 1012811 View attachment 1012812 View attachment 1012813

What a coincidence! I just finished recapping this very same amp in my Voice Of Music 565A phonograph from 1956. If you are considering buying it I can tell you it sounds great and that sample looks very clean. Just fyi, all 5 of the paper caps in mine were leaking causing the DC bias voltages to be all messed up. Very easy fix though.

Back
Top Bottom