Pioneer SX-1080

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
I'm trying to restore a working SX-1080, turns out the bass turnover pot is broken off at the shaft where the knob is supposed to attach. The schematic shows ASE-105 as the part number, and the 106 part number is for the treble side. Looks like only the 106 unit is available on the auction site, hoping a fellow AK member might have a parts unit with what I need or can direct me to one.

This 1080 cleaned up and checked out real nice, it's a shame a replacement pot is no where to be found at the moment. It looks like I will have to wait and see if one shows up in the future. :(

20170926_095019.jpg 20170926_095027.jpg 20170926_100346.jpg 20170926_100400.jpg

Just an idea, possibly with a little finesse you might be able to drill out (with a drill press) the middle of the shaft, tap it and screw in a threaded piece to extend the shaft.

Just an idea, possibly with a little finesse you might be able to drill out (with a drill press) the middle of the shaft, tap it and screw in a threaded piece to extend the shaft.
Funny you should say that, that's exactly what I did for the time being, well not exactly, I didn't use a drill press, just my hand drill, added tape to get a snug fit. I will keep looking for a replacement, but at least this unit looks finished now and can be enjoyed.

20170926_105418.jpg 20170926_105437.jpg

While you have it open did you do a thorough cleaning of the filter switches. They are a notorious cause of loosing output signal from the preamp to the amp. I believe, IIRC, they are the last place the signal goes before the run to the amp. This will be a worthwhile thing to spend some time on. If my 1250 drops signal, the filter switches are the first place I check.

While you have it open did you do a thorough cleaning of the filter switches. They are a notorious cause of loosing output signal from the preamp to the amp. I believe, IIRC, they are the last place the signal goes before the run to the amp. This will be a worthwhile thing to spend some time on. If my 1250 drops signal, the filter switches are the first place I check.
Yeah, learned that a long time ago, it's up and working great. Only thing I notice is that it takes a bit longer to click out of protection than usual.

20170926_113940.jpg

my 1080 takes a bit longer to arm the protection relay as well compared to other pioneers i own. seems i read somewhere here that this was caused by a capacitor on the protection board that takes longer to charge and can be remedied by changing to a lower value. trouble is i dont know which one it was or even if it was a 1080 and i dont consider it much of an issue. but i imagine if you started a new thread you could get the info you may need if it bothers you that much.

I commented in another thread about changing those ecaps in the protection ckt, as they may be out of spec, causing a longer than normal delay. I guess that I have to search for it to reference again.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....protection-relay-timing.789027/#post-10885413
1080 uses awm-120 instead of awm-123, so on awm-120 that would be to change C1,C3,4,5. While you are at it there is only two ecaps left to change C2,6, might as well change them while you are at it.
C2 should be a NP type ecap. It must be a mistake, why they show a polarized ecap for C2?

Last edited:
It's been quite some time since I posted this thread, but I finally got around to recapping the protection circuit, replacing the broken bass control, and doing a full adjustment. Relay clicks in much quicker as it should now, and all that's left is to install new LED lamps. This receiver has come a long way from when I picked it up, it also had the AM antenna attached with foaming gorilla glue which I replaced with a non broken piece. Glad to have it looking and operating like it should again!

20180228_131456.jpg 20180228_131504.jpg 20180228_131517.jpg

It's been quite some time since I posted this thread, but I finally got around to recapping the protection circuit, replacing the broken bass control, and doing a full adjustment. Relay clicks in much quicker as it should now, and all that's left is to install new LED lamps. This receiver has come a long way from when I picked it up, it also had the AM antenna attached with foaming gorilla glue which I replaced with a non broken piece. Glad to have it looking and operating like it should again!

View attachment 1125817 View attachment 1125818 View attachment 1125820

She is definitely a beauty ! Well done.
It just needs one last thing.
Get the dremel over those push on terminals to get rid of that tarnishing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom