What's your best speaker "score"?

I've been avoiding accumulating much of anything for the past few years for a variety of reasons.

But it seems once you're into this hobby at all, or even remotely interested in vintage gear. Stuff just finds you!

Like just last year, I found a pair of mint condition AR-5 and a pair of AR-7 for free, in an old house being demoed. And the year before that, a vintage Fisher external cabinet with 3 crappy drivers in it but also with a tube 30A mono amp in it.

Oh and a friend, who isn't even remotely into gear at all, found in his late Aunt's house, a mint pair of AR3 that I'm trying to get him to give to me just for helping him out.:deal::naughty:

I picked up a pair of AR2Ax's and a Marantz 2230 a while back for $150. I sold the Marantz and ended up with a free pair of speakers. After a little work they still sound great.

Really just tidbits compared to some of the troves I've heard about. None grabbed by me though. The Arthur D. Little think tank in Cambridge MA allegedly coughed up a staggering number of dumpstrer bound 755A's. Same for the Hess Department store in Allentown PA. There were guys grabbing this stuff well before anyone else had a clue.

Just last night( nothing to do backflips for but not bad either)
2-RTR BIC model 123 (perfect condition but no front covers) & 2-ESS Daytona W/1 torn up woofer.
$30.00 for all

Last week...JBL 4312A's and a pair of B&W 602 S2's. Both from the same GW store $55 out the door. I love them both but the JBL's are really growing on me.

JBL B380 and B460 subs for $10 each from my brother. He found them at a roadside junk sale from an abandoned music store. Real dirty, minor water damage, blown drivers, and no grills.
And so it continues ... I bought Don's B460 last week and AudioKeith delivered it from FL to VA via Pony Express! It was nice and clean now!
(Since 2010, he'd had the particle board footer rebuilt, had the driver reconed, and had a new grill built for it) It was a GREAT buy for me!

Last edited:
$0.99 for an ADS PB-1500 with the matching C-1500 crossover.

Pretty sure I'm never going to top that one, though it just barely surpassed getting a working pair of L112 for $50 years ago.

John

Some great gets on here for sure!
Most of mine have been really really good deals, but by the time I put work into them, not so much. But that's okay.

All of my best scores have been hoards with speakers and gear together. I guess I could say the Sherwood/Bozak score was one of the best since it included an AR1.

Sold off what I didn't want to more than cover my cost for everything, so essentially, what I kept is free. Gear laid out before I loaded it in my truck, the AR1 sitting atop one of the two sets of Bozaks, the last pic are JBL C39 Harlan cabs I sent to Sheltie Dave (who has been MIA since January).

IMG_0351.jpg IMG_0387.jpg IMG_0356.jpg

I have made some really good finds, but my record on speaker scores tends to be "meh". Best I have found were a set of B+W 602 Series III with stands for $20. They sound very good, despite one tweeter being a bit dinged up. Got very excited finding a single Rogers LS3/5a for $5 (before my senior discount) but I suspect I will spend the rest of my life looking for a mate for it. Usually, when I get excited about speakers found at a thrift store, I find that they have some defect that makes them unusable, like the clean-looking AR-7s I got only to find that they have blown tweeters. :-(

JBL L36 in excellent condition except for woofer surrounds, free pickup off curb. Also Pioneer CS-99A, same circumstances, sold them for $300 on CL.

Newest score: two JBl LX22, two Minimus-11 Black, two Minimus-12 Silver, and a bag of speaker wire; all for free.

Older score: two Acoustic Research AR-6 with rotted surrounds, for free.

Back
Top Bottom