TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Possibly it's an input buffer? Could be useful for level-matching less-than line level inputs to the amp.

Do you mean this preamp chip? I think the power increase is primarily due to 2x TPA3116 chips.

As far as the sound quality, there's only one way to find out. :)
(I have one on the way myself)

s-l1600.jpg

I am seeing some of these TPA3116 amps (and others) now with an OPAMP in the circuitry. These seem to put out more power I guess.
I wonder how this would affect the sound. Is this something to be desired or avoided?
Probably more sensitive/ higher gain, requiring lower input level for full output.

Interesting, in the picture it appears to be a socketed opamp. Rolling possibilities!

I've got one of those dual chips with an opamp on the way as well. I'm wondering if opamp rolling will be worth it. I've rolled opamps in my little dot i+ and liked the results.

I am seeing some of these TPA3116 amps (and others) now with an OPAMP in the circuitry. These seem to put out more power I guess.
I wonder how this would affect the sound. Is this something to be desired or avoided?

If the power supply to (and the decoupling of) the opamp isnt spot on, you'll likely hear the "significant differences" in opamp sound. Less so with good power.

Last edited:
If the power supply to (and the decoupling of) the opamp isnt spot on, you'll likely hear the "significant differences" in opamp sound. Less so with good power.

That's kind of what I figured. People always talk about "rolling" OPAMPS that way they roll different tubes in tube amps. That is to say it can affect the quality and nuances of the sound somewhat. It will affect the sound in some way, some more neutral than others. I know we all really like the sound of the TPA3116, that's why we keep buying these little things and experimenting with them, would hate to introduce something in the signal path to mess that up.

I will no doubt have to buy one of these and find out for myself.

Cheers
'

That's an interesting one and it looks very nice, PG. Since our Sainsmart preamps have two huge capacitors and also have two different volt/amp feeds off the transformer to the preamp, I wonder if the smaller caps and just 12V feed might mean a little less good.

Back
Top Bottom