Here I come into audio land!

Snuck

Greetings everyone!

I was lurking, spying, taking tips on audiokarma for a long time now but I just come now to post and share the bit of experience I have. I started the hifi about one year from now one, I always loved good sound, shared by parents hifi system (yes, toshiba systems are still quite kicking ass today, even if not the luxuous brands) but I think that's all how we started hifi : shared by our parents.

So, about one year ago, I tried out to go into hifi with some klipsch RB-81 mk II and an onkyo A-9010. I wasn't really fan of the sound, ok it was good, but I wished it was better than that so I went looking into vintage gearing since honnestly, the old gears were providing a very good sound and I started drowning into JVC gear.finding some old denon mid range speakers beating up the klipsch Rb-81 by a few.

It just astounded me to see some speakers sold 20 euros giving a lesson to new speakers (those were the Denon SC-E313, easily foundable, silver made binding post). So I went deeper and tried a lot of gear within the year, as well as lot of cables wether RCA or Speakers or usb since I listen to music from computer.

I currently own a JVC AX-90B as well as a JVC AX-1100 ( Victor AX-990 despite few differences with the Victor AX-1100 : less bulky fan system and few less juice) which is really a beast amongst amplifier if u let them burning in : this one needs a lot of time to be ready since most of the time, they were used some hours and then left aside. The Gm Driver system is really exceptionnal with very good speakers and cables : it makes the sound very natural, clean and taking u to the guts.

The DAC is a tweaked asus essence one (fuses were changed, as well as all - the 11, chips for some muse 8920. For a better use of the asus, I would recommend installing the usb fix for windows 7 even if u use higher version, it just make the DAC kick ass in a clic, and to keep all the settings of all audio players at 44.1hz/16 bit before to activate the oversampling : this way, the DAC will really flows with details and surprising sound, more than with any others ways, oversample off included.

Speakers are some fine Tannoy Jupiter S that really are marvelous, they're not Dual Concentric but I don't....care at all! It's just brilliant what they can do, there was a time Dual Concentric wasn't cheap at all and where you needed more likely to own a ferrari or porsche before one of those speakers.

For cables, I currently own some Zavfino prima which are exceptionnally good for the price (or the others brands around are exceptionnaly expensive, which is more probable), some RCA furutech ad line 2 that'll leave me in the year for some zavfino Fusion and some fine uk made usb cable D-Fi vertere that'll leave for a neotech neub-1020 later as well.

I hate to use direct sound system on JVC amplifier though, since it tends to make them really cold while they bloom with life and warmth when it's turned out. I saw some others brands, but I believe it's one of the most reliable for its age and price, underlooked for those who don't know. I remember being told by some dude that the AX-1100 wasn't big enough to be a Class-A so it was fake, but he would happily buy me this one if I was selling it, I guess......which I won't. U know what u lose, not what u'll earn.

I would be curious to try out one day a Zn-1010 but not at the expense of letting my AX-1010 or AX-90B go.

Thanks for all the years of messages that were helpful and that ultimately, made me fall into wanting a nice system which I got cheap in a year, for a student, it's not bad I guess.

Welcome to the AK Crew.

WOW, great intro! Your depth of knowledge/experience is in sych with your motivation to improve the world of sound, and looks like you've done well for your endeavours to date. Good show!

In this realm of AK. you are a fit.

Q

Thanks! :D

Well, I'll try to share what I got, I'll do some reviews, I already started with Asus Dac, because we are in a world where good vintage gear are throwed to bin or left in the dust till they get dead, and good products are hard to find in the jungle of smokes and mirrors made to give money to holding company hiding behind what was once manufactures trying to reach the best sound quality though differents technologies and visions.

Back
Top Bottom