new schiit audio 4 band eq

This seems like a switch up for a budding audiophile company to come up with. But from what I've read it could actually be worth a look. Schiit Audio's founders are a couple of audiophile fanatics, and I'm curious about them wanting to produce something like this.

Only thing I did'nt really understand was the 20Hz knob...
I mean that's strictly subwoofer territory.
And only the more "robust" subs @ that.

It's weird to me because most speakers could never dream of reproducing frequencies that low.
And in most systems that do go that low,those freqs would be something for the subwoofer(s) to deal with.
Also,just how much music content (that the average Joe listens to) is actually down there ?

I probably would've gone with something like 100Hz instead,that just seems more useful to me.
(ie: 100/400/2k/8k w/100 & 8k both being +/-12db and 400 & 2k both being +/-6db)

Example:
If you look at some of the preamps w/adjustable turnover controls they're usually something like 50/120/250 (for the bass) like my NAD 1300.
And for the record the treble controls for that 1300 are usually something like 3k/6k/12k,so the 2k & 8k knobs dont seem at all outta line to me.
Another example is my Kenwood KA-7300,that uses 150/400 for the bass and 3k & 6k treble turnover controls.

Only thing I can see a 20Hz knob being useful for is boosting those low freqs on sealed subs or such that lose a few db down low as SOP.

I dunno,,,maybe I'm missing something on that deal ???
I just cant see myself needing that 20Hz knob all that much...

:confused:

Bret P.

Last edited:
@xero-D-hero: you could use the 20 Hz as a subsonic filter, removing/diminishing rumble from a turntable. A rumble- or subsonic filter was very common on amplifiers in the 70's and 80's, but nowadays they're extinct while turntables have made a triumphant return.

@xero-D-hero: you could use the 20 Hz as a subsonic filter, removing/diminishing rumble from a turntable. A rumble- or subsonic filter was very common on amplifiers in the 70's and 80's, but nowadays they're extinct while turntables have made a triumphant return.
Yeah but the way they describe the 20Hz knobs function makes it sound a bit like a dbx subharmonic synthesizer and not a subsonic filter.
And if they wanted Loki to have a subsonic filter for TT useage,they could've used a simple switch for that function like old gear used to do.

Further,if the intended use for the 20Hz knob was to act as a subsonic filter,then why have it's adjustment range +/- 12db ?
Why not just make the adjusment range 0/-12db instead,why allow it to ADD 12db more to that low of a frequency ?
That additional 12db @ 20Hz surely wont help TT rumble at all if you ask me.

Like I said,I've pondered that ??? a bit and really have'nt came up with a good answer myself.
I just view that 20Hz knob as a bit of a dunsel (<<< and FYI folks I'm not a trekkie,the term just seemed to fit here,LOL).

FWIW

Bret P.

A lot of Schiit's market is headphone, so a 20hz adjustment makes some sense to tame a boomy set of cans.
I thought about that too...

But that premise completely ingores the fact that a lot of headphone EQ'ing is being done in the digital side of things these days.
From what I can tell Loki (at least to me) seems to be largely geared more towards the analog side of things.

It seems that most would likely install this much the same way one would use any traditional GEQ.
That is by installing it in a tape/EPL loop or such.
And there is'nt even a whole lotta gear that has such these days.
Let alone headphone gear that has such.

And then I thought just how bad (read: boomy,LOL) would a set of cans be that they desperately need a 20Hz tone control to "fix" them ???
Even most of the digital EQ's I use w/headphones only go down to the low 30's for the lowest slider,and that's been all I've ever really needed.

Yeah sure some can's response spec goes down to 15-20Hz,but again just how much program material actually goes down that low ?
And again why have it's adjustment range +/- 12db if it was to address headphone "boominess".
Why not just make the adjusment range 0/-12db instead,why allow it to ADD 12db more to that low of a frequency ?
Ok so lets just say that would be to address the flip side of that coin,,,right ???
So that's for all those diehard pipe organ fans that listen with bass shy headphones I guess. o_O

I guess that 20Hz knob is just gonna have to be a pet-peave for me with this unit...
If it were'nt for that one ???WTF??? I'd be one of Loki's biggest fans,as I'm a die-hard tone control user.
I have EQ's on just about all my rigs,and I'm sure in more than one case I'd love to try one of these instead.

:blah::blah: :rant: over...

:dunno:

Bret P.

AudioControl did the few band eq right back in the day. The 520 has three bands in the bass one midrange and one high frequency.
This allowed for fixing the bass problem with the system using the 36Hz, 60Hz and 120Hz then a 1kHz for the mids and the 16.5kHz for the highs. Well designed and probably very good today to tune up a system. The ability to adjust the bass problem seems to make the loki seem less capable but I haven't used one to know.

Attachments

• audiocontrol.jpg
    audiocontrol.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 35
AudioControl did the few band eq right back in the day. The 520 has three bands in the bass one midrange and one high frequency.
This allowed for fixing the bass problem with the system using the 36Hz, 60Hz and 120Hz then a 1kHz for the mids and the 16.5kHz for the highs. Well designed and probably very good today to tune up a system. The ability to adjust the bass problem seems to make the loki seem less capable but I haven't used one to know.
I never saw that one. It makes sense to me. Ive tried severel EQ's over the years and always ditched them soon after. I might have kept that one. I like having a midrange control when I use tone controls, and the AudioControl seems to take the three control setup a step further in a good way.

Last edited:
I thought about that too...

But that premise completely ingores the fact that a lot of headphone EQ'ing is being done in the digital side of things these days.
From what I can tell Loki (at least to me) seems to be largely geared more towards the analog side of things.

It seems that most would likely install this much the same way one would use any traditional GEQ.
That is by installing it in a tape/EPL loop or such.
And there is'nt even a whole lotta gear that has such these days.
Let alone headphone gear that has such.

And then I thought just how bad (read: boomy,LOL) would a set of cans be that they desperately need a 20Hz tone control to "fix" them ???
Even most of the digital EQ's I use w/headphones only go down to the low 30's for the lowest slider,and that's been all I've ever really needed.

Yeah sure some can's response spec goes down to 15-20Hz,but again just how much program material actually goes down that low ?
And again why have it's adjustment range +/- 12db if it was to address headphone "boominess".
Ok so lets just say that would be to address the flip side of that coin,,,right ???
So that's for all those diehard pipe organ fans that listen with bass shy headphones I guess. o_O

I guess that 20Hz knob is just gonna have to be a pet-peave for me with this unit...
If it were'nt for that one ???WTF??? I'd be one of Loki's biggest fans,as I'm a die-hard tone control user.
I have EQ's on just about all my rigs,and I'm sure in more than one case I'd love to try one of these instead.

:blah::blah: :rant: over...

:dunno:

Bret P.

Brother, don't overthink this. You might not care for it, some others will. That's the marketplace, it doesn't always make sense to 100% of the people, and that's a good thing.

You might not care for it, some others will.
FYI folks: I never said I dont care for Loki as a whole,,,quite the opposite...
I just questioned the functionality of that 20Hz knob for my needs,that's all.
To me it comes off as a cheesy one-size-fits-all "bass boost" knob as opposed to a useful tone shaping tool.

I say that as the other three controls Hz fall right inline with what most any other EQ and/or tone controls would normally employ.
And then there's that odd duck 20Hz knob.

If I did'nt care for this unit,I never would've bothered posting anything here.
I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and moved along to the next thread.

So who's going to be the first to pony up?
Might have been me if it were'nt for that pesky 20Hz knob...
Even 50Hz would've made more sense to me.

I guess it would really depend on how wide the 20Hz notch is,
This right there is the million $ question folks.
Would've been nice if that were covered in their documentation.

Also would be VERY interested in a more detailed description of the 20Hz "gyrator" intent & function.

So I guess I'm gonna hafta pass on being the guinea pig for this one.

FWIW

Bret P.

You know, this might me my christmas audio purchase. I'm trying to decide between this and the Magni 3.

If anyone buys it, please report back. I don’t have anywhere in my system I could integrate one, but would still love to get feedback on it from people who aren’t slavishly loyal to the brand.

A 20hz knob would also work as a pseudo high pass filter... But sucking out frequencies that low you might be able to gain more clarity out of a speaker as they don't have to reproduce lower frequencies, especially with smaller diameter drivers

Back
Top Bottom