Favorite Programming Languages

What Are Your Favorite Programming Languages?

• Java

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • C

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • C++

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Python

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • C#

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • JavaScript

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Visual Basic .NET

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • PHP

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Delphi / Object Pascal

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Assembly Language

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
Embedded software: straight C with assembly twiddles

PC software: C++, specifically C++ Builder

Enjoy,
Rich P

Embedded software: straight C with assembly twiddles

PC software: C++, specifically C++ Builder

Enjoy,
Rich P

+1

Although I worked on an embedded that was C++ but only a very light use to take advantage of the organizational aspect of it. Actually clever idea.

I looked over the list.

I had taken a "C" class eons ago but never really mastered it.

Of the languages I was capable of using (Basic, Cobol, Fortran) .... I absolutely loved Fortran. Basic was OK. Cobol was a joke and I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Cobol was a joke and I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Now Now. Don't Want To Upset The Grace Hopper!!

tumblr_inline_niya21AqiZ1rr1oyg.jpg

Frannie

I looked over the list.

I had taken a "C" class eons ago but never really mastered it.

Of the languages I was capable of using (Basic, Cobol, Fortran) .... I absolutely loved Fortran. Basic was OK. Cobol was a joke and I shouldn't have wasted my time.

Whoops..... it wasn't "C" that I took. It was Pascal..... Pascal.....

Now Now. Don't Want To Upset The Grace Hopper!!

Frannie

My feelings about Cobol are based on my lack of any real need for it, coupled with it not making as much sense as Fortran did to me.

Last edited:
I did a lot of assembly language / eeprom burning stuff but all I remember is alphabet soup and phonebook sized printouts of code. Not my favorite language by any stretch. I checked C cuz it seems (still) like the be all and end all. And Delphi / Object Pascal cuz of some cool telecommute stuff I did years ago. Nowadays there's a free form of Delphi called Lazarus. And I'm learning Python cuz it's taken over at work but I'm not gonna drink the Kool Aid.

I have been doing programming work for desktop applications for decades. Assembly and C were the favorite languages back in the late 80s and 90s for doing things fast. Since then, our applications were built using Visual Basic - switching to C# and .net gradually.

What I have learnt over the years is that the language isn't the limiting factor in doing good work. It's the mental capacity of the programmer and how well he/she have mastered the concepts and facilities offered by the programming environment. Of course, writing a full fledged ERP in assembly is beyond the capability and capacity of any programming team - it would be a waste of their time. UI components and interoperability classes are much better addressed by more enhanced platforms.

But when you are called upon interfacing and controlling hardware by implementing a protocol or even polling control signals, it sometimes boils down to either C++ or even building some interface h/w using a microcontroller and writing some embedded C. And even in a data processing environment, one needs to carefully decide between implementing logic in the programming language of the application or application server (be it C#, delphi or whatever) or implement it as stored procedures in the database engine. It's all about minimizing un-needed roundtrips to the database.

I often quote something I've read once: If your only tool is a hammer, everything around you looks like a nail. One has to be able to master multiple tools and be able to use the appropriate one for each task.

My favorite language was ARTEMIS, a schedule management and relational database system. Aerospace companies used it mostly, like Lockheed.

My dad, a Naval officer, met Grace Hopper. I knew Basic and Pascal at one time. Programmed in Basic on an Atari 400. Pascal gives me nightmares of all-nighters at the UVa computer lab. Ended up in law school.

atari400open.jpg

Good ol’ straight up C. Followed by assembler. In various jobs I programmed in more languages than I could count (sigh).

I also recall punch cards (also paper tape)

Does Ardino count as a programming language? Basically a subset of C++ ...

I started with Fortan 4 on punch cards.

Anyone here do Lisp?
How about APL? That was a really freaky thing.
ADA anyone? I did some military stuff in that.

C# is for developers.
Programmers work in C.
C++ is just a handy way of organizing and rapid developing good C code.

Back
Top Bottom